Thread: Exhaust

Default Exhaust

Hey gang, noticed the paint discoloring on the left side of my cowling over the last few weeks. Looked over the exhaust myself, but didn't see anything unusual. My A&P looked her over today, and pointed out the crack around the muffler tube junction that I could only see with a real bright flashlight. In going over my logs, this exhaust had a crack and was welded at 180 hours, and then replaced it at with a new muffler at 240, it now has 410 and is cracked again! Sorry, but this is not an acceptable situation to me. Has anyone any experience with A. what causes this, and can the cause be removed? B. if not, is there a better exhaust out there, LEES, or something else that does not crack?

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Re: Exhaust

Hey Mark: Not in a cub, but when my RV-8 had an exhaust pipe crack on its 0-360 engine, I went to Vetterman exhaust...they weld a great set of pipes and were an excellent company to work with. They are pretty much dominant in the RV market, and perhaps won't be useful for cubs...but they are a great resource.

Jim

Hey Jim, I just noticed you NM location. I think we may have talked in the past. I am headed over to Silver city on behalf of the RAF, and meeting Larry, Filener, NMPA along with the District Ranger in Reserve to discuss the re-openning of the Sacaton airstrip in the Gila National Forest on the 27th. Do you know Larry?

Quote Originally Posted by mspenc45 View Post
    Hey Jim, I just noticed you NM location. I think we may have talked in the past. I am headed over to Silver city on behalf of the RAF, and meeting Larry, Filener, NMPA along with the District Ranger in Reserve to discuss the re-openning of the Sacaton airstrip in the Gila National Forest on the 27th. Do you know Larry?
    Yup, we have talked in the past...both about NM camping and RAF (which I have joined) and we've exchanged emails regarding a fella on Beechtalk named Kim.

Nope, I don't know anybody, pretty much. I am currently living in Montgomery, AL...and we have our retirement house in New Mexico, so that is where me and my CCSS will wind up. I do look forward to making contacts with the folks in NM as retirement approaches...and once I finally get that airplane...August!!!!!

Jim

Jim:
    I noticed you live in Mongomery AL you are only 40 or 50 miles from me, when you get time fly up to AL17 and we can talk about Carbon Cubs I built kit #5 email me at evroosevelt@hughes.net.
    EV

Email sent

I remember now! Man, this getting older thing!

OK, has anyone out there installed the Sutton exhaust on their CC18?