Thread: 31" tires on a Carbon Cub

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 31" tires on a Carbon Cub

I have had a few people ask about 31" tires on a Carbon Cub. I finally threw a spare set on and I have some feedback. I have the the 3x3 gear and bigger brakes so CG was a concern. It moved it .25 inches forward, which means I carry a little ballast in the tail if I am light. My gross is now up to 961 lbs. The tires have a bit more side structure and I could feel it on the very first touchdown. They also are much easier to hydroplane (I don't even have a theory here, they just feel smoother and inspire more confidence). For the stuff that I routinely do I would say its probably nice to have the heavier sidewalls, but I also go on some pretty rough/off camber stuff. They raised my prop 2.5 inches at similar PSI and That is a nice benefit as well. All in I don't really know if it is worth putting on unless you go and do rough stuff routinely. I will be keeping mine on for a while just to play around and see. Below is a link to a video of some hydroplaning on the new 31"s

http://www.youtube.com/user/lameusernameguy

Default Re: 31" tires on a Carbon Cub

Patrick: I appreciate your review; as you pointed out, we occasionally get questions about "the bigger tires". I assume these are standard 31Bushwheels not Airstreaks, in which case there is a substantial weight penalty in the change as these are designed for aircraft with gross weights up to and over 2000#. Also, did you look at speed penalty and any increase in temps as a result of the change.

It is all in the eyes of the pilot... I have 29 Airstreaks and standard gear and in spite of the fact that most of my flying is off airport in fairly rough stuff here in Montana/Idaho, I have wished I had my 26's back on this light airplane. With 3X3 gear and 31's, I suspect that is one imposing looking beast you have there. Keep us posted on your impressions on the 31's and thanks. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    Patrick: I appreciate your review; as you pointed out, we occasionally get questions about "the bigger tires". I assume these are standard 31Bushwheels not Airstreaks, in which case there is a substantial weight penalty in the change as these are designed for aircraft with gross weights up to and over 2000#. Also, did you look at speed penalty and any increase in temps as a result of the change.

It is all in the eyes of the pilot... I have 29 Airstreaks and standard gear and in spite of the fact that most of my flying is off airport in fairly rough stuff here in Montana/Idaho, I have wished I had my 26's back on this light airplane. With 3X3 gear and 31's, I suspect that is one imposing looking beast you have there. Keep us posted on your impressions on the 31's and thanks. Ralph
    Ralph they are standard 31"s and yes they increased my empty weight by a bit. I did't see any speed penalty at the speeds I run; topped out I am sure they have a marginal effect. I don't have a way of telling temps currently, but at the ambient temps I am running this may be moot. haven't flown over 30 degrees ambient in a while. Frankly it looks the same, Bob even asked if I switched. I can tell a big structure advantage, but like you said it may not really have an impact for most folks. BTW I am going to be up in your neck of the woods for June 26th -29th for a RAF thing. It's in Kalispell, it would be fun to do some flying if time permits!

pr

Patrick: WX allowable I always make that RAF meeting. There is a work session at Meadow Creek, just down the valley and my favorite Montana backcountry strip. I'll attend that, from the RAF meeting. Last year I couldn't get over the rocks because of turbulence...darned Huskies stole all the photo opps. We need to be there in force. It looks like we hijacked your thread.... let me know when you will be in Montana. R
    Ralph Rogers
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

I've got 3" gear and 31's on my EX. That's all I know and I land in some rough places without trouble.

I enjoyed the video. Nice water-assisted stops. I'm planning to remove skis and back to 31's this week.

Is the kalispell thing in June the Ryan fly-in? Flew over Ryan's two days ago. Snow covered yet.

Dan: I assume it is the Ryan Field flyin. It is usually that weekend. There is so little posted on MPA or even RAF websites. Big drifts are gone from in front of the hangar....time to kick the airplane in the ribs. R
    Ralph Rogers
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR