Thread: Tire recommendations for new E-LSA Carbon Cub

Default Tire recommendations for new E-LSA Carbon Cub

I am new to the forum and have a Carbon Cub on order to be delivered in October with the new Garmin Panel. My question is regarding tires. I have the 26" tires on order but am wondering if the 850X6 wouldn't be better. I will be landing on grass and dirt runways but only on recognized runways, not on river banks for instance. I do have a dirt runway at my home airport so I could land on that usually. From what I hear, the 26" and larger for my purpose is mostly for looks. I do have the 3" extension gear for clearance. Also I have the steerable tail wheel, not the Baby Bushwheel and am interested in the pros and cons. Is the Baby Bushwheel harder to control on hard surfaces? Are the 26" tires harder to control on hard surfaced runways.
    Thanks in advance your comments.
    Duane Frederiksen
    Future N620CC

Default Re: Tire recommendations for new E-LSA Carbon Cub

I think as you grow into the Cubs capabilities you will find the 26's useful. There is very little speed penalty and the added fun of landing possibilities will make you want the 26's eventually so why not order them with the plane? The 29's in my opinion are overkill as I already land anywhere I want with the 26's. The tire size has little to do with pavement handling other than wear. The baby bush wheel is not necessary for most anything you will probably land on. IMHO
    Last edited by cityrancher; 05-27-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Personally I like the 26" tires the best, especially considering the kind of surfaces it sounds like you will be landing on. If I were picking tires I would only go with the 8.50s if the plane were to be mostly on asphalt because they do wear a lot better on the asphalt than the 26" tires. But it sounds like you won't be doing much asphalt so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

The reason I like the 26" tires better is they land and ride a lot nicer (in my opinion) than the stiffer 8.50 tires, especially on an airplane as light as a Carbon Cub.

Regarding the tail-wheel, the 3200 upgrade (Not the 3200B, baby bush-wheel) is definitely the way to go. The baby bush-wheel is best for serious off-airport operations, especially on soft surfaces..
    Last edited by Pete D; 05-27-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Pete,
    Could you please tell us the weight of the complete assembly's of the 3200B baby bush tail wheel and the 3200 upgrade
    I have the 3200B and I can sell it to a guy with a C180 and am wondering whether the weight difference way down the back
    is worth changing over for.
    Bruce

I don't know the weight of the complete assemblies but the exchange weight with the standard tail wheel is +3.1 for the 3200 and the 3200B is +8 lbs over the standard. So that tells me the 3200B baby bush is about 5 lbs heavier than the regular 3200.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Duane, I'm with the others in feeling that the 26" is the best all around tire option all things considered. I would not however do the 3200B tailwheel. It tends to shimmy no matter what you do, and if you are in really soft material just lighten the tailwheel with a bit of power and forward stick. You'll work up to that ability.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Duane, I'm with the others in feeling that the 26" is the best all around tire option all things considered. I would not however do the 3200B tailwheel. It tends to shimmy no matter what you do, and if you are in really soft material just lighten the tailwheel with a bit of power and forward stick. You'll work up to that ability.

Tried them all and agree with Randy this is the best advice, the rest is asthetics. Regards Gary

Hi Duane,
    glad to see you found your way on to the Forum! Its a great way to ask questions and see what the community thinks about various topics. I find it quite useful.

Looks like most of the folks feel like I did when we talked about it live, having the 26" and 3200 Tailwheel, but each use case is different for these planes.
    The good news is, you and I will get to ask Randy personally up in Yakima next monday afternoon!

Rick