Thread: Any opinions on paint?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Any opinions on paint?

I'll resurrect this thread.

Soon I will be ready to paint. So far I plan using PPG Delfleet Evolution single stage paint. There is a local PPG automotive so it's a good option for me. My scheme is the CubCrafters yellow on silver that I've seen in promotional photos like the one below.

IMG_1839.JPG

Today I had a discussion with Steve Michael from Chattanooga, TN who is part of the kit support team. He offered a suggestion that I consider clear coat over the Poly Spray gray. It's a good color for me I guess, but never thought of that as an option. Jon Delamater told me the rebranded PPG Delfleet Evolution code for the yellow in this photo is 80502 and the silver is either FDGH 35027 PPG Polyurethane or Polytone Nevada Silver. PPG says the FDGH 35027 is a metallic gray.

I have talked to PPG and have estimates for paint, but haven't seen the actual color yet.

My Poly Spray has a good smooth finish, but I don't know that it's ready for clear coat. How do I tell? Should I clear coat it do I need to lightly sand before clear coating this finish. I'm not a painter, but have learned lots in my booth using my HVLP with the Poly Brush and Spray. I'm watching lots of YouTube on painting clear coat especially.

Any advice?
    Last edited by jmorrical; 07-29-2020 at 09:26 PM.
    Jim Morrical