Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW! Ground Adjustable Composite Prop for Experimental Carbon Cub

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    KatieB

Default NEW! Ground Adjustable Composite Prop for Experimental Carbon Cub

Good Afternoon, Carbon Cub owners! I'm pleased to announce that the new Whirl Wind GA340 ground adjustable composite propeller is now available for Experimental Amateur-Built and E-LSA Carbon Cubs. This prop is slightly heavier than the standard Catto (approximately 4 lbs), but offers significantly marginally faster cruise speed and a durable electroformed nickel leading edge. Of course the big benefit is the ability to get the pitch adjusted perfectly to your aicraft configuration and flying environment.

• Configuration: 2-blade
    • Blades: Thermoset epoxy/graphite composite.
    • Hub: Machined aluminum
    • Diameter: 78"
    • Pitch: ground adjustable, infinitely variable
    • Color: Satin Black with white tips. Other colors are available at extra cost.

The full Whirl Wind spec sheet and photos will be posted on our website within the next week or two. Retail price is $2,950. A Carbon Cub spinner kit pre-cut to match the prop hub is available for $356. ($3,290 total) To order, please call 1-877-484-7865. Please specify diameter of your hub bolts when ordering.

We have one new prop with 3/8" hub bolts in stock right now. Typical lead time for new orders will be 2-3 weeks.

NOTE: This propeller is approved for use on ELSA or E-AB aircraft with CC340 or Lycoming O-320/O-360 derivative engines only. Proper pitch setup does take time and a reasonable amount of flight testing; it is not an "instant" pitch adjustment.
    Last edited by KatieB; 03-23-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Default Re: NEW! Ground Adjustable Composite Prop for Experimental Carbon Cub

Quote Originally Posted by KatieB View Post
    Good Afternoon, Carbon Cub owners!I'm pleased to announce that the new Whirl Wind GA340 ground adjustable composite propeller is now available for Experimental Amateur-Built and E-LSA Carbon Cubs. This prop is slightly heavier than the standard Catto, but offers significantly faster cruise speed and a durable electroformed nickel leading edge.Configuration: 2-bladeBlades: Thermoset epoxy/graphite compositeHub: Machined aluminum Diameter: 78" Pitch: Ground adjustableColor: Satin Black with white tips. Other colors are available at extra cost. The full Whirl Wind spec sheet and photos will be posted on our website within the next week or two. Retail price is $2,950. A Carbon Cub spinner kit pre-cut to match the prop hub is available for $356. To order, please call 1-877-484-7865. Part numbers: GA-340-716 (for the CC340 or Lycoming engines with 7/16" hub bolts) or GA-340-816 (for Lycoming engines with 1/2" hub bolts)Note: This propeller is approved for use on Experimental aircraft with CC340 or Lycoming O-320/O-360 derivative engines only. Proper pitch setup does take time and a reasonable amount of flight testing; it is not an "instant" pitch adjustment.
    Hi
    Any figures available regarding cruise performance?
    Sounds good
    Alan
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

Quote Originally Posted by armaurer View Post
    Hi
    Any figures available regarding cruise performance?
    Sounds good
    Alan
    One other thought...........
    Looked at the WhirlWind Web Site...they make a light weight constant speed prop.........
    Could it be used on a Carbon Cub?
    Cheers
    Alan
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

The increase in speed was most noticable at wide open throttle. At 6,000 ft, 2250 RPM (LSA power setting) it was 106 indicated/115 true. I'd say generally 5-8 MPH faster but there are a lot of variables. C.G., weight, tire/gear size etc etc.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    The increase in speed was most noticable at wide open throttle. At 6,000 ft, 2250 RPM (LSA power setting) it was 106 indicated/115 true. I'd say generally 5-8 MPH faster but there are a lot of variables. C.G., weight, tire/gear size etc etc.
    Ok now for the details. I am working from memory on this so help me if my recollection is wrong.

Here is the placard for the "LSA Power Settings" for maximum continuous power.

VoilaCapture170-L.jpg
    The last time I asked, this placard was based on an airplane with a fixed pitch prop that was considered a "climb prop" based on the pitch setting of that prop.

So... if you have a ground adjustable propeller set to a "Cruise pitch" setting, then the maximum continuous rpm limitation would have to be adjusted downward to stay with the maximum continuous power setting limitation.

All of this is another way of saying that if you were running a ground adjustable variable pitch propeller at a cruise pitch, then you were likely exceeding the maximum continuous horsepower limitation at 2250 RPM and 6,000'.

Maybe better to report cruise fuel flow as a proxy for engine power output when reporting cruise speeds at various pitch settings.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 03-26-2012 at 06:35 AM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

I've had the Whirlwind for 2 1/2-3 years and like it. Changing pitch is no big deal and takes about 45 uninterrupted minutes to do.. . The install manual called for 20 degrees as an initial setting,which is way too much bite for the Carbon Cub....I settled on 15.5 degrees after a lot of testing to achieve close to max rpm in flight. Speed numbers are around 118 mph @ 2600-2650. As Whirlwind explained in this thread..higher cruise speed can be achieved by pitching at a higher angle....but in my case the climb rate suffered,max rpm dropped and Cht's rose as the engine loaded up. The prop certainly gives versatility to the cub allowing one to " tailor" the airplane to their desire. I'm running the 340 Stroker in my cub.

Now that these have been out for awhile, any more to report? Looked like from the stol vid s from osh there was a couple there. Kevin q?

Thx

Jim

Alan,

There is no provisions on the CC340 for any type of governor. Weight!

I don't really have any cruise numbers for the WW. I can say it will be as good as or better than the Catto but exact numbers would depend on what pitch setting you have it set to. To explore the performance numbers for every possible pitch setting would be a huge flight test program. This is why it is offered as an option on EX and E-LSA aircraft at this time only.
    Last edited by Pete D; 03-22-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Not sure why anyone would do this, maybe I'm missing something? I just bought a Catto climb prop for my EX for $2300. If this prop requires a fair amount of adjustment and flight testing every time you make an adjustment why not take the $600 you save by buying a fixed pitch prop and put it towards a second prop. Sounds a lot easier to change a prop than change the pitch of this. Probably lighter too and less components to break. $1700 more investment but sounds like a lot less work in the long run.

Never owned a ground adjustable prop so like I said above, I may be missing something important. If you could just turn a screw and get a different pitch that would be sweet - but it does not sound that simple.

Junior Member WhirlWind Propellers's Avatar

Hello to the Cub Crafters Forum,

I'd like to offer a few more details regarding the new WhirlWind Propellers ground adjustable GA340 propeller. This is a 78" diameter two-blade composite propeller specifically designed for the Cub Crafter's Carbon Cub SS airplane.

The GA340 propeller allows you to adjust the propeller pitch to your preferred mission profile (aggressive short field and climb, or for quiet, efficient cruise performance or some where in-between). You have multiple mission settings all in one propeller. Efficient operation and high performance goals were in mind when we designed the long highly tapered blade shape and very thin blade cross-section along with the aggressive under cambered airfoils to achieve optimum lift distribution and maximum L/D.

GA340 Blades:
    The blades of the GA340 propeller are manufactured with thermo-set carbon fiber composites, overlaid on a high density foam core. The leading edge protection is electroformed nickel which offers the best abrasion protection, especially when flying from unimproved airstrips. The blades are painted satin black with white tip striping and are finished with a durable polyurethane top coat.

GA340 Hub:
    The GA340 hub assembly is 3-D CNC machined from aerospace billet aluminum. Each hub is anodized black for corrosion resistance and appearance.

GA340 Spinner:
    The GA340 spinner is constructed from all carbon fiber material. The spinner is trimmed and fitted, and is ready to install and fly. The spinner is available in two different finishes: Carbon Fiber print-through gloss or optional primed and ready to paint.

Pitch Change:
    The key feature of the GA340 propeller is that blade angles can be adjusted to an infinite number of settings. Propeller blade pitch change is a breeze. It's a three-step process. 1. Loosen the hub clamp bolts, 2. Rotate the blade via supplied blade pitch paddle to desired pitch setting and verified by digital protractor (not supplied). 3. Tighten and torque hub clamp bolts. The process takes about ten minutes including removing and installing the spinner dome.

GA340 propeller package includes: hub assembly, propeller blades, spinner, blade pitch paddle and all related hardware.

And.... Cub Crafters now stocks the GA-340 propeller & spinner package.

Please feel welcome to contact me with any other questions.

Sincerely,
    Jim
    WhirlWind Propellers
    wwpc@whirlwindpropellers.com

GA340s.jpgGA340-spinner.jpgGA340-spinnerexp.jpg