Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Charging

Default Re: Not Charging

I had a similar intermittent charging fault with s/n 00028. Everything seemed to check out, but still had a charging problem. At the recommendation of B&C, I removed the firewall mounted relay for visual inspection. During removal, I noticed the wiring harness was extremely tight (harness was too short for positioning the relay vertically). Once the relay was removed, the problem was obvious. The stress on the 12v input pin from the tight harness caused the plastic relay to crack creating an intermittent short. The broken relay was replace and positioned at an angle to limit stress on the pins. No charging problem since relay were replaced.

BTW, the easiest way to check charging voltage is using the GPS. Voltage can be displayed on of the pages.

Default Re: Not Charging

FYI

Left for breakfast yestarday,didnt seem to turn over as fast as normal didnt think much of it.Restarted after breakfast seemed slow turning over, check voltage jump right up to 13 volt with a little thottle so didnt think much of it again.Made a radio call leaving class delta, radio flashed when i keyed mic.Checked voltage 10.1volts was running 2600rpm (which I never do)pulled it back to 2300 and voltage jumped to 13.5(sratching my head).A minute later i smelled plastic burning very faint not even sure i was smelling it wife said she didnt smell any thing tell i opened window and door case there was a fire.I reached under dash knowing were votage regulator is (just replaced it a month ago)it was hot enough you couldnt keep you hand on it for more than a few seconds none of the wires seemd hot.I pulled the alt & feild breakers, never smelled anything again kept checking Regulator is was still hot after 15 min.It has a heat sink on it so really didnt kow how hot it should be.Looked under the dash when we got home saw nothing with any sign of heat or anything else.Pulled top cawl off everything looked good there. Got online read reileyr post went and checked relay all looked good,then i remembered the over voltage light never came on when i pulled the breaker.I turned on master pulled breaker light came on reached under dash touched the relay, light went out wouldnt come back on.Pulled the wires off relay harness is diffenetly to tight.The very top of back wire spade connectors plastic insulator was black and melted on aparently from a bad connection (harness was pulling against it).Replaced connector tie strapped harness up to relieve pressure now charging 14.5 volts.Regulator does not even get warm,probably what caused my first regulator failure. I would recomend you check the wires on your relay I wasnt able to see the burnt connector tell i unplugged it. I dont know how hot the regulator would have gotten this all happened with in a 5 minute time span. Going to order new regulator tommorrow just because the connector got that hot.
    Chuck