Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bungee Cover Alignment

Default Bungee Cover Alignment

Has anyone replaced the 4 rubber grommets on the bungee covers? Mine are real loose and the covers tend to both droop about 30 degrees down in the back?

Jon

Default Re: Bungee Cover Grommets

Jon
    Its probably not the rubber grommets,there are some foam peices inside the cover that are probably wore out.They dont seem to last very long.I have seen quite a few hanging down.Mine were glued to the bungee retainer plates.I cut mine off , made my own so far so good, only got about 30hrs since so far.Couldnt stand seeing them hang down.
    Good Luck
    Chuck

The bungee covers on mine have always drooped -- a little more on the left. If I straighten them before a flight they will always be drooped again when I land.

I believe the bungee covers simply streamline to the airflow which is aimed downward from the 4-into-1 exhaust stacks. The clockwise (as viewed from the cockpit) rotation of the propwash steers the exhaust flow more toward the left.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Jon
    Its probably not the rubber grommets,there are some foam peices inside the cover that are probably wore out.They dont seem to last very long.I have seen quite a few hanging down.Mine were glued to the bungee retainer plates.I cut mine off , made my own so far so good, only got about 30hrs since so far.Couldnt stand seeing them hang down.
    Good Luck
    Chuck
    Thanks - I'll check that first. As Jeff described, the left side always drooped due to prop flow but now both droop and are real loose. Jon

Jon
    Good Luck
    Chuck
    I took the covers off today and the grommets have just worn so there is space on the gear leg. No foam material inside. You can see the space around the grommet that allows the covers to droop. JonGrommet.jpg

Jon
    I have two sets of CC landing gear they both had foam( looked like washers) glued to the top of the upper bungee retainer plate. I think you took a picture of the bottom cover? If the grommets were so tight that it would keep it from rotating, i would not think it would let it slide very well when gear extends unless it was just the top grommet ,i might be wrong.
    If you unscrew the upper cover , the cover will slide down and there will be two grey looking foam washers glued to the upper fork. At least that is how both mine were. When i took mine apart the foam had become egg shaped letting the cover rotate by.On my PA11 the covers were much smaller and the bungees would not let cover pass by.
    Hope that helps.
    Chuck

Jon
    I just checked my right side,(which i did not repair ,no sagging yet) there is a considerable amount of play between grommet and gear and it still stays straight.I can feel the foam inside.It probably moves a 1/4" up and down at top with resistance, more at bottom.Remember there is also play were grommet fits onto bungee cover. I dont think it has anything to do with the high performance exhaust because there are two i know of with standard exhaust and they hang almost straight down on left side.
    Chuck

Jon
    I have two sets of CC landing gear they both had foam( looked like washers) glued to the top of the upper bungee retainer plate. I think you took a picture of the bottom cover? If the grommets were so tight that it would keep it from rotating, i would not think it would let it slide very well when gear extends unless it was just the top grommet ,i might be wrong.
    If you unscrew the upper cover , the cover will slide down and there will be two grey looking foam washers glued to the upper fork. At least that is how both mine were. When i took mine apart the foam had become egg shaped letting the cover rotate by.On my PA11 the covers were much smaller and the bungees would not let cover pass by.
    Hope that helps.
    Chuck
    Chuck

Got it now. Looks like it is the 2 foam pieces shown on the right side of the photo and not the grommets. Fixed! Thanks. Jonphoto.jpg

Thats great. looking at your picture the foam is on the bottom,could of swore it was on the top of mine been a couple of months since i did mine (sometimers I guess).
    Chuck

The gromments have to fit over the welded bottom end of the shock strut, that is why they appear to be loose on the tube of the shock strut. I have never seen any wear on the grommets, though after a number of years (probably more than most if not all of the CC fleet) they will start showing their age.

Pete