Thread: New CC Purchase Considerations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New CC Purchase Considerations

Good Day Cubbies,

I am looking at purchasing a new Carbon Cub in a E-LSA flavor as a platform for photography and film making. I would greatly value any advice as to what to consider, options to include or, if you had to do it again, what would you do different and any other topics or issues that should be researched and resolved pre-purchase. The mission for this plane is to be flown off of anything reasonably flat (29" tire terrain) and basically be a back country flying tripod for my various bits of camera gear - some small - some up to 15lbs.

This is my forth aircraft: C-182S, Saratoga TC and TBM700 were 1-3

Starting with Avionics - I likey the technology, even in VFR conditions. What I lack in skill I attempt to make up in gear (wink wink):
    • I am looking at the Exec Glass panel with adding the Dynon HS34 and Garmin SL-30 to increase functionality
    • Alternatively to the Exec package I am considering the Garmin GTN-750, GDL-69, GMA-35, GTX-33. Anyone have experience with this equipment or suggestions how/where to get it installed in a CC if the factory won't do it?
    • I am considering the TruTrack Auto Pilot for single crew filming situations - anyone have experience with this AP?

Does anyone have experience with mounting camera gear in or on the CC? Any tips on this? Any full size movie gear set-ups out there?

On cockpit power:
    I need 12V outlets to power up the camera gear, both front and back seat areas, but understand the CC battery is out of a lawn mower. Any tips on this and clever power outlet locations / methods?

What is your experience with maintenance costs and other costs of ownership?

I plan a custom paint job - any tips on this?

I am dealing with California Cubs out of Santa Maria as the dealer. Any feedback on this dealership? So far I have done a demo ride/flight which was great. The owner Ben is a passionate and engaged user/dealer it seems.

Any wisdom you can share is greatly appreciated!

-Josh
    Last edited by Carbonite; 02-02-2012 at 06:45 PM.