Thread: Propeller Question

Default Propeller Question

Would the Sensenich Cruise prop listed in the Cubcrafters catalog
    for 180 HP engines increase the cruise speed performance of the Carbon Cub?
    Does anyone know?
    Cheers
    Alan
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

Default Re: Propeller Question

Alan, I suspect you're referring to the Sensenich metal prop for the Top Cub. That won't work on the CC340, it is intended for the Lycoming O-360 in the Top Cub. We've done quite a bit of prop testing on the Carbon Cub and the Catto really does perform better than anything else.

That said, there should be two new propeller options for CC340 owners available later this year, both with metal leading edges and both with at least small performance improvements. Stay tuned.
    Randy Lervold

Default Re: Propeller Questions

Any updates on the field adjustable Whirl Wind prop?

What is the reason for using a 2 blade prop when a 3 blade offers more ground clearance and smoother operation?

The WW is coming along nicely, we have a prototype here now that we are doing performance tests on and the preliminary numbers are looking good. Indeed a 3-blad would likely be smoother but it would also be heavier, and in the wrong place on the plane.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    The WW is coming along nicely, we have a prototype here now that we are doing performance tests on and the preliminary numbers are looking good. Indeed a 3-blad would likely be smoother but it would also be heavier, and in the wrong place on the plane.
    On the WW: is this to be an easily field adjustable prop with something like detents to find the different pitch settings and lock down with a single tool . . . or am I going to need a laser, spacesuit and a cleanroom to make it work? Can you comment on how the thing works at this point? What is the ETA for it and what is the process for switching out a stock CC prop?

My mission for the plane I'm looking to buy has me flying long legs cross country - then needing extreme short field performance once there. The WW, on paper, is the perfect solution for this. Devil/Details

The WW prop needs the provided blade angle tool, a digital level and a torque wrench w/ socket. You also will need a screwdriver to remove the spinner. Not the easiest thing to do in the field but easy enough.

Early performance numbers suggest you will be able to set it in one place and have plenty of cross country and T/O performance for all but the most extreme conditions...

Pete D.

Has anyone been running one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Has anyone been running one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We tried to, see the story HERE.

One thing I've learned over the years is that the combination of engines and props is not something to be taken lightly, there are serious at forces at work, high stresses, and potentially catastrophic results. Be careful out there, a proper vibration survey is the only way to be sure!

IMG_1187-X2.jpg
    Randy Lervold

Yep....I've been running mine for 2.5 - 3 years and love it! They had an updated/service letter on the hub assembly early on and provided an improved hub to replace it. I've experimented with different pitch settings and I'm currently running 15 1/2 degrees of pitch for good cruise rpm and climb performance numbers. Changing pitch only takes 45 minutes or so...unless I'm bombarded by the local experts at our airport....of which there are many...lol. I've accumulated 70 hours since the install and love it!