Thread: Amphib floats

Default Amphib floats

I am having a carbon cub ex built in Canada. I hope to fly it to the Cottage on amphibs. I understand aerocet is developing an amphib float of approx. 225 lbs (150 after exchange out of wheels). It will float apprx. 1600 lbs. That leaves me short 265 lbs of max gross. Wip 2100's will do the trick, but at approx. 415 lbs (340 lbs after exchange) I expect these leave me with 75 lbs more useful load and all the performance penalty. Zenair has a 1900 amphib that weighs approx 300 lbs net of exchange and may be a good alternative (cheaper too). Anyone have any experience with zenair floats? Does anyone have anything more definitive on aerocet's design project? What's the verdict? Undefloated aerocets with performance or wips/zenair/Montana foats with performance drain? Mission distance is 225km each way with 2 pax 400lbs.

Default Re: Amphib floats

Hi - I am in Toronto area as well with summer home I used to fly too in Lake, then subsequently Murphy Moose. I would be interesting chatting more about your experience building in Toronto. Can you provide me contact details offline to discuss - it would be most appreciated. My email is lee.cummings@rogers.com.

You might want to wait until you see some real world testing on the new Aerocets. I'm told there will be a fair amount of excess floation built in, should be good to 1750 lbs. We really don't know when that will be for sure but expect late spring some time.
    Randy Lervold

Thanks Randy. I would encourage aerocet to get the max gross as close as possible to 1865 lbs as it opens up both the s-lsa and e-lsa markets to them. Interestingly on Zenairs site the difference bw 1700 & 1900 lb floats was 3 lbs per float for a total of 6 lbs! strikes me as a no brainier to address both e and s lsa options for carbon cubs either by adding the 6 lbs or designing 2 variants of essentially the same float. I am sure I am over simplifying the engineering problem, but if we the customer can sway their thinking via the economics of selling more floats we both win. Phone Aerocet and let them know what you think. Vote early vote often!

Post Re: Amphib floats

Quote Originally Posted by jmehta View Post
    I am having a carbon cub ex built in Canada. I hope to fly it to the Cottage on amphibs. I understand aerocet is developing an amphib float of approx. 225 lbs (150 after exchange out of wheels). It will float apprx. 1600 lbs. That leaves me short 265 lbs of max gross. Wip 2100's will do the trick, but at approx. 415 lbs (340 lbs after exchange) I expect these leave me with 75 lbs more useful load and all the performance penalty. Zenair has a 1900 amphib that weighs approx 300 lbs net of exchange and may be a good alternative (cheaper too). Anyone have any experience with zenair floats? Does anyone have anything more definitive on aerocet's design project? What's the verdict? Undefloated aerocets with performance or wips/zenair/Montana foats with performance drain? Mission distance is 225km each way with 2 pax 400lbs.
    I have just finished bui;ding a Zenair predrilled 2200 kit. I weighed them before paint with only spreder bars on with outincluding electric hyd. pump and only adding pumpout cups and tubes beyond stock . They weighed 400 pounds[200lbs. each] this is 80 lbs. more than they published! I called to ask why they said they would get back to me. I have heard nothing it has been over a month. Tom k

Just finished the installation of Clamar 2180 all electric amphib floats. 360lbs installed. 263lb exchange weight. At max gross (full tanks, 420lbs of crew, 60 meters of rope, axe, toolkit + other stuff) it gets off the water in 14-15 seconds. Probably less in the hands of a pilot with more than 7 hrs of amphib time.

Quote Originally Posted by jmehta View Post
    Just finished the installation of Clamar 2180 all electric amphib floats. 360lbs installed. 263lb exchange weight. At max gross (full tanks, 420lbs of crew, 60 meters of rope, axe, toolkit + other stuff) it gets off the water in 14-15 seconds. Probably less in the hands of a pilot with more than 7 hrs of amphib time.
    Thanks for response. Question - which engine are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    Thanks for response. Question - which engine are you using?
    Using the cc supplied Titan o-340 180 hp