Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb Ice

Default Carb Ice

After 300 hours and a ton of fun in the past 18 months, I love my Carbon Cub. I have been following the forums with much intrest but the subject of carb ice has only been mentioned once. Am I the only one that is experiencing frequent carburetor icing? I have to be ready for it at all times, not only landing but sometimes climbing out at full throttle.

Any comment's,

Calvin

Default Re: Carb Ice

After flying the 0-200 for years...I am completely relieved to have this 0-320 clone (0-340). The 0-320 series is fairly ice resistant with the carburetor and manifolds close to the warmth of the oil pan. That said, any of them can ice. What the 0-200 did teach me is that there is a bit of a dance between carb ice and mixture. If you run too rich, ice is much more prevalent and easily formed. You might try running a little leaner... I have had very little trouble with ice with this plane/engine...but then, I haven't lost all my good carb-heat habits from the little ice machines I previously flew, Let me know if it helps... Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

I have had it twice. Both times there were a lot of low clouds hanging in the valley temps were in the 30's. Kind of unavoidable in the right conditions. I've a carb temp probe but the important ingredient is plenty of moisture in the air it seems. Forgive typing errors. iPhone and clumsy fingers

Lightbulb Re: Carb Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    After flying the 0-200 for years...I am completely relieved to have this 0-320 clone (0-340). The 0-320 series is fairly ice resistant with the carburetor and manifolds close to the warmth of the oil pan. That said, any of them can ice. What the 0-200 did teach me is that there is a bit of a dance between carb ice and mixture. If you run too rich, ice is much more prevalent and easily formed. You might try running a little leaner... I have had very little trouble with ice with this plane/engine...but then, I haven't lost all my good carb-heat habits from the little ice machines I previously flew, Let me know if it helps... Ralph
    Thanks Ralph, I think you may have something there as I do have a tendency to run on the rich side. I'll give it a try.

Calvin

Living in Maine with your winters I'd be looking at one of these.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...es_iceman.html
    The Iceman is an approved system, don't know about the other one I know someone who has an iceman in
    a cessna and thinks its worth the money although he doesn't use it that much in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndill View Post
    Living in Maine with your winters I'd be looking at one of these.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...es_iceman.html
    The Iceman is an approved system, don't know about the other one I know someone who has an iceman in
    a cessna and thinks its worth the money although he doesn't use it that much in Texas.
    I had one of these on a Maule and flew it for many years in Spokane. Engine was an 0540-b4b5 I really didnt like it - it was overly sensitive and would pretty much go off all winter long whether there was ice in the carburator or not. I prefer a carb temp gauge. No automatic notification but at least you know what's really going on and your not relying on an optical sensor that may just have accumulated too much blue fuel dye which is what happened to mine a lot.

I prefer something like this. I know they tell you not to but with a gauge like this you can modulate the carb to a point you know it's not going to be building ice but short of the point you lose a lot of power.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/mdct-md11-3.html

Another Straighten me out Question:

Where is the Carb. Temp. Prob located in the carburetor.. Is it at the coldest point or location where ice would
    probably form? I see with the Dynon, that the carb temp shows almost the same as OAT less 10 degrees approx.
    ( Last flight OAT 65F and carb. temp showed 57F),
    When applying Carb Heat, the temp rises about 15-20 degrees on the carb temp. I was wondering if that is all the rise
    I can expect from the carb heat, since it seems like on a cold 10 degree day that would put the carb temp at freezing?
    (ref CC-340)

Out having a real good time with the new machine!

Thanks - Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg A.jpg (47.1 KB, 398 views)
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

The carb temp probe is in the throat of the venturi. If you are looking at the carburetor it is in the top halve, on the front side. Two wires going into it. If you don't have carburetor temp there will be a small brass plug that takes a flat blade screw driver in the hole where the temp probe goes.

Leaning will not just help with reduction of the likelihood of carb ice, it will also increase the temperature rise you get when you turn on the carb heat. Since the carb heat comes from a muff over an exhaust pipe the higher the egt the hotter that air will be.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    The carb temp probe is in the throat of the venturi. If you are looking at the carburetor it is in the top halve, on the front side. Two wires going into it. If you don't have carburetor temp there will be a small brass plug that takes a flat blade screw driver in the hole where the temp probe goes.

Leaning will not just help with reduction of the likelihood of carb ice, it will also increase the temperature rise you get when you turn on the carb heat. Since the carb heat comes from a muff over an exhaust pipe the higher the egt the hotter that air will be.
    Is the carb temp probe installed on the Carbon Cubs as standard?

Jon

If you have an executive glass panel option it will have carb temp, displayed on the D180. Any other panel option does not have it.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc