Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Props

Default Props

I was wondering how I could find the performance differences with my S2 between the Catto and the Mccaulley 71x41 I currently have?
    Rich
    Last edited by rkortge; 01-13-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Default Re: Props

Rich, here is some data collected about a year ago...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Randy Lervold

Randy, is there similar prop - pitch information for the O-340 in a Carbon Cub?

Kelly

Thanks for the data Randy.Rich

Rich,

Consider the Sensenich ground adjustable composite prop, it has immediate thrust and the climb pitch cartridges 46 and 48 outperform any of the other props when in STOL or back country conditions in my opinion at least!. I have about 500 hours on my prop and nearly 1000 hrs on my cub. How muchlong range cruising do we really do anyway? If need be, just change the pitch cartridge to 50 or 52 for a long cross country. Takes about 15-20 mins.

Have fun my friend, ...Geo
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

I second Geo's recommendation. Light weight, pitch flexibility, and great performance... highly recommended. R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

I have been using the ground adjustable Sensenich on my modified 0-200 for about 3 years now and it performs great. I run the 50 pitch in the summer and the 44 pitch in winter for skiing.

Two years ago I switched from the standard wood prop to the ground-adjustable Sensenich. With the 50 cartridge I immediately gained 10 mph in cruise, no decrease in takeoff/climb performance, and smoother and quieter cruising flight. It seems so well balanced that I've not been motivated to try other cartridges - and it runs so smoothly that I'm almost afraid to mess with it.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Quote Originally Posted by flybymike View Post
    the 44 pitch in winter for skiing.
    Flybymike:

You ski with an S2? That's great! By modified, do you mean the engine? Have you owned your sport cub long?

You run a 44 pitch and I always wanted to try one but CC said it wasn't approved for SLSA but your probably experimental. How much difference in climb or takeoff performance from the 46 pitch? Can you tell the difference? How about redlining? with the 46 I have to be careful as it is easy to redline. I love the performance though!

Geo in AZ now
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Geo

I am using the Sensenich on a different experimental plane. I had Lycon build the 0-200 with high compression forged pistons, port & flowed heads and precision balancing. So I can easily operate the engine at over 3000 rpm. But when I'm skiing, the elevation is over 5000 ft. so horse power is limited. My base airport KBDN, is at 3500' elevation and it only goes up from there so I rarely experience the performance of sea level operation. To avoid the red line issue, I just keep pulling the stick back.