Thread: RAF efforts on State Recreational Use Statues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default RAF efforts on State Recreational Use Statues

Hi all, not sure if you are aware, but the Recreational Aviation Foundation has helped move forward an agenda across the country to help protect back country airstrips and even re-open strips that have been closed for several years. Here in AZ, with their help we were able to get Senate Bill 1229 amending AZ Revised Statutes 33-1551 passed this last year becoming law in July. Basically this agenda is to add aviation activities to existing Recreational Use Statutes, or writing new legislation that will protect land owners from possible liability, encourages land owners and managers to open their airstrips to recreational aviation use. With the newly amended 33-1551, here in AZ, we have been able to re-open one Forest Service airstrip and are working on two others that we already have commitments from the Forest Service to re-open. It still takes relationship building and trust between the land owner/manager and aviators, but with the number one objection being taken care of, that being liability, you can move on to taking care of lessor objections such as maintenance concerns and such. If you are not a member of the RAF and you love back country, you should be. www.theRAF.org

Thus far the following state have clear language in their R.U.S. including aviation:

Montana, Idaho, New Mexico, Arizona, Tennessee, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Kansas

Default Re: RAF efforts on State Recreational Use Statues

If this was all the RAF had accomplished it would be reason enough to join.... but they have opened old airstrips for us, insured that some endangered strips remain open, and even created the first new airstrip on forest service lands in 40 years. The volunteers there work daily to insure the kind of flying we all love to do. If we had to pay them for the quality of work they do, we couldn't afford them. All of us should support this organization to the largest extent possible. Get out your credit card; click here; follow the prompts. http://theraf.org/civicrm/contribute...t?reset=1&id=2

We all need to support. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Thumbs up Re: RAF efforts on State Recreational Use Statues

Hi Ralph, I could not agree more. I volunteered at the RAF booth at Sun-n-Fun last year, and folks have little idea how much effort actually goes in behind the scenes at accomplishing what has been accomplished. I began to wonder if the leadership ever slept! They have developed relationships with the federal land managers all the way to the top. I cannot say how helpful it is when I walk into a first meeting with a District Ranger and can point to personal relationships between the RAF leadership and two consecutive Chief Foresters, not to mention the memo issued from the last Chief, Abigail Kimbal, and inspired by the RAF, clearly stating "Backcountry airstrips are an appropriate use of National Forest System lands..." Of course the RAF cannot not do it all, and they do not try to replace the local pilot organizations, but they come along side and guide them step by step, as they have here in Arizona. I really cannot say enough good about teamRAF. I belive they were the fastest growing aviation organization last year. I became a heritage member and continue to support them with my time and finances.

There are many back country pilots who believe that they will just keep on flying under the radar into those same old airstrips. All this has gotten us in AZ is a bunch of airstrips closed and destroyed. We all have to come out of the woods, so to say, and make ourselves visible through organizations like the RAF. It takes time, but with all the successes to point to across the country, we are gaining momentum quickly. We have at least one District Ranger wondering when we'll be able to put together the volunteer work crew to get the airstrip she offered us back open!

Ditto guys and met the RAF group at Sun & Fun 3 years ago and was so impressed became a member and have supported them each year . They truly get it have our backs as back couty pilots and are great people to boot. Best Gary

I've always had an interest in what these folks do. Thanks for the heads up and link to join. I'm officially a member and grateful for their efforts! Hope to donate some sweat-currency soon.

Andrew

Senior Member Warren Aircraft LLC's Avatar

At the encouragement of Mark Spencer, I applied and was accepted as the RAF Texas Liaison. I have a lot to learn but I am excited for the opportunity to help the RAF mission. I look forward to events and a little good old fashion hard work to reclaim some cool places to have fun..

Take a good look at the RAF and if you can get involved..
    http://theraf.org/
    Scot Warren - Member / President
    Warren Aircraft™ LLC
    940-367-0929
    scot@warrenaircraft.com
    www.warrenaircraft.com

Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, & Louisiana