Thread: Fuel sight guages

Default Fuel sight guages

Hope all of you had a Merry Christmas. I am on vacation and had the wildest flight ever in that sudden wind storm we had yesterday. Good thing I had a passenger in back weighing that tail down . My question is on the sight guages for the 3 point position. Are those calibrated for the standard tires? I have 3x3 gear with 29's and the baby bush tailwheel.
    I am guessing that with my setup the sight guages are showing less fuel than is actually on board, in the 3 point only. Happy New Year guys and I hope to meet many Carbon Cub flyers in 2012. Tom #190

on the river.jpg

Tom & Dan.jpg

1 of 5 grass strips.jpg

Default Re: Fuel sight guages

Looks like I need spell check. Gauges!

Quote Originally Posted by Teamomm View Post
    My question is on the sight guages for the 3 point position. Are those calibrated for the standard tires? I have 3x3 gear with 29's and the baby bush tailwheel.
    I am guessing that with my setup the sight guages are showing less fuel than is actually on board, in the 3 point only. Happy New Year guys and I hope to meet many Carbon Cub flyers in 2012. Tom #190
    The calibration procedure was definitely NOT done with with 3x3 gear and 29's so your guess is correct, when on the ground the sight gauges are reading low -- can't say by how much however. I know you are equipped with a fuel computer, once you get your k-factor tweaked then you have another good data point for determining remaining fuel. As with all things in aviation we should all keep our SA (situational awareness) high, especially on fuel quantity. I always feel better when I have two data sources that corroborate each other for anything, so use your fuel computer and cross check it with the sight gauges.
    Randy Lervold

Thanks Randy. I think I have the dynon dialed in to within 2/10 of a gal. I trust that and I assure my passengers that when there are 4 gallons in each tank it will not show that on the sight gauges until the tail is up. Tom