Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel Tanks opinions

Default Re: Fuel Tanks opions

Has anyone done any science on TO / Landing Distance and Climb Rate with the extra weight of long range fuel tanks? Also, does this top mounted weight effect the cross wind handling performance or stability of the plane that someone with the tanks can comment on?

Cheers!

-Josh

Quote Originally Posted by t.c.williams View Post
    Just ordered a CCSS to be started in January. Not sure if i need or should go the long range fuel tanks. Any insight would be welcome.
    Happy to say, I just put my order in for a CC EX yesterday and what better place to make that decision than here at Sun 'n Fun. Flying formation with Randy and Scot clinched the deal. So, TC, what did you decide on in the end. Extended tanks or some Bushwheel bladders? That's one to the things I'm trying to decide myself right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Happy to say, I just put my order in for a CC EX yesterday .

Congratulations on the order Paul! Formation flying and in-trail is a blast! Looking forward to when you get your cub on line and we can do some flights of two or more!

Geo
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    Congratulations on the order Paul! Formation flying and in-trail is a blast! Looking forward to when you get your cub on line and we can do some flights of two or more!

Geo
    Thanks George. It really was a lot of fun. Hey, the way things are going for Jim, Randy and the boys in Yakima, we'll be doing a Team Cubcrafter flyby at Oshkosh in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonite View Post
    Has anyone done any science on TO / Landing Distance and Climb Rate with the extra weight of long range fuel tanks? Also, does this top mounted weight effect the cross wind handling performance or stability of the plane that someone with the tanks can comment on?

Cheers!

-Josh
    I don't have any numbers per say but flying Carbon Cubs equipped with the long range tanks it is noticeable when switching back and forth between that and a Carbon Cub with standard tanks.

TO / Landing distance and Climb Rate I don't notice much difference other than the weight-about the same as if you had that extra weight in the baggage area or back seat. I have not noticed any differences in crosswinds but there may be some.

Where it is noticeable is if you are used to standard tanks is with the extended tanks the roll stability is slightly different. Not bad per say, you can just feel the weight up there. If that is the only configuration you fly you probably won't notice it.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

I ended up getting the small tanks. On my flight back from the factory burning 9 9.5 gah you had to stop every 2 hrs. which i was able to do without any trouble. An hour and a half to two hrs. is all i like anyway. Took me five days to get to Ohio in perfect weather. Stayed with some great Super Cub people. The fuel burn seems to be 6 to 6.3 gah so you have 3 to 3.5 hrs. to fill up. I don't think the extra weight would be that big a problem though. The thing, especially with a little head wind, just leaps off the ground. Depends on your flying habits and how often you want to stop for fuel. Good luck.

The answer really depends on what your flying will consist of. I ordered the long range tanks because mine will spend all it's time on floats between my house and remote lakes where I don't want to stop for fuel on the leg out and the leg back. And when your hanging another 250 pounds of floats underneath I'm not sure the extra few pounds of tankage makes that much difference in performance but it does make a lot of difference in flexibility. I had large tanks in my Maule and I loved it because I could stay in the air for almost 5 hours or fly 2 hours in and 2 back without stopping at an airport for fuel.

If your going to put big tires on it and routinely go in and out of 500' strips or sandbars get the small tanks but if your doing mostly recreational flying off paved runways or putting it on floats I would get the larger tanks.