Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tanks opinions

Default Fuel Tanks opinions

Just ordered a CCSS to be started in January. Not sure if i need or should go the long range fuel tanks. Any insight would be welcome.

Smile Re: Fuel Tanks opions

How far do you want to fly at one time is the question?
    You can expect 100 MPH at 6 gallons per hour.
    That means the standard 24 gallon tanks will give you about 350 miles with a half hour reserve.
    I never fly that far. I am ready to land and strech and refuel after 2.5/3 hours.
    Standard tanks mean less weight also - even empty.
    Bill
    PS
    Welcome to the most fun you can have off the ground!
    Last edited by seastar; 12-23-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Default Re: Fuel Tanks opions

Thanks for the input. My understanding is 18 lbs. heavier for the tanks. Not sure how critical that is. I have to stop and move around also every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Just like the idea of having having the extra capacity if traveling. Fuel is always a good thing. Will keep thinking it over, Thanks.

speaking for myself, and no one else I'd take the long-range tanks you might not need them during your normal operations but if you go someplace like utah, or alaska it would be very useful to be able to carry extra fuel, plus if I was that worried about the the weight the tanks added I'd start buy trying to lose 18 Lbs off of the fatass pilot.

The pilot has already lost the weight to cover the glass panel, the 3x3 gear, the 29 in. tires and the extended cargo area. I like cake and ice cream too much to go another 18lbs. Also would like to know if that 6 gal. an hour doing 100 mph was with what size tires? Thanks for the help. Got to go eat some more cookies. Mary Christmas to all.

To me the "magic" in a carboncub is because of the power to weight ratio... my advice is to keep it light...keep it light. I have 3.5 hours of fuel...and a 3 hour bladder. If I'm going into the Idaho back country, I carry fuel in a couple of the Bushwheels fuel bladders and put it in when I get there. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

The CC website order form for the SS and the S2 says the long range tanks are an extra 42 lbs. Is that a typo?
    Last edited by Norm; 12-24-2011 at 09:59 AM.

My understanding is the actual weight of the tanks is 18 lbs. The 42 # has to with something about unusable fuel in the tanks.

Ah, thanks. There's 4 gallons of unusable which = 24 lb + the 18 lb for the tanks = 42 lb total.

Quote Originally Posted by t.c.williams View Post
    The pilot has already lost the weight to cover the glass panel, the 3x3 gear, the 29 in. tires and the extended cargo area. I like cake and ice cream too much to go another 18lbs. Also would like to know if that 6 gal. an hour doing 100 mph was with what size tires? Thanks for the help. Got to go eat some more cookies. Mary Christmas to all.
    Just to make it clear T.C. when I said Fat%#@ pilot I was talking about myself and no one else.