Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CC Purchase Considerations

Default New CC Purchase Considerations

Good Day Cubbies,

I am looking at purchasing a new Carbon Cub in a E-LSA flavor as a platform for photography and film making. I would greatly value any advice as to what to consider, options to include or, if you had to do it again, what would you do different and any other topics or issues that should be researched and resolved pre-purchase. The mission for this plane is to be flown off of anything reasonably flat (29" tire terrain) and basically be a back country flying tripod for my various bits of camera gear - some small - some up to 15lbs.

This is my forth aircraft: C-182S, Saratoga TC and TBM700 were 1-3

Starting with Avionics - I likey the technology, even in VFR conditions. What I lack in skill I attempt to make up in gear (wink wink):
    • I am looking at the Exec Glass panel with adding the Dynon HS34 and Garmin SL-30 to increase functionality
    • Alternatively to the Exec package I am considering the Garmin GTN-750, GDL-69, GMA-35, GTX-33. Anyone have experience with this equipment or suggestions how/where to get it installed in a CC if the factory won't do it?
    • I am considering the TruTrack Auto Pilot for single crew filming situations - anyone have experience with this AP?

Does anyone have experience with mounting camera gear in or on the CC? Any tips on this? Any full size movie gear set-ups out there?

On cockpit power:
    I need 12V outlets to power up the camera gear, both front and back seat areas, but understand the CC battery is out of a lawn mower. Any tips on this and clever power outlet locations / methods?

What is your experience with maintenance costs and other costs of ownership?

I plan a custom paint job - any tips on this?

I am dealing with California Cubs out of Santa Maria as the dealer. Any feedback on this dealership? So far I have done a demo ride/flight which was great. The owner Ben is a passionate and engaged user/dealer it seems.

Any wisdom you can share is greatly appreciated!

-Josh
    Last edited by Carbonite; 02-02-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Default Re: New CC Purchase Considerations

Hi Josh
    I have a two month old CC with lots of hi tech equip.
    Cubcrafters will do it if asked. I put in the G3X two screen package (might be only one to date)
    and the Tru Track A/P. The auto pilot works quite well but not perfect. Usually exact and spot on.
    it works thru the G3X PFD. For back country get the larger fuel tank. So far no issues with airplane
    except round Becker radio which is being replaced. Lot of static. Garmin com better choice but limited panel space.
    Airplane will land and take off on a postage stamp. Climb is better than 2000 FPM. I bought my plane thru SWT
    on east coast but am well acquainted with the guys in Santa Maria. Ben will show you some tricks and you will never find nicer people. regarding battery in CC, I keep a battery minder on when in hangar. have not had starting problems
    but all agree battery is not a strong point but it works. Of course I live in Florida so battery is warm.
    The airplane has a power outlet but I would not drain battery and then expect it to start the plane.
    Carry extra batteries for your photo stuff. You can load up the Cub and it will fly fine.
    Hope this helps
    Alan
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

Quote Originally Posted by armaurer View Post
    Hi Josh
    I have a two month old CC with lots of hi tech equip. Cubcrafters will do it if asked. I put in the G3X two screen package . . .
    Thanks for the reply and info. Who installed the G3X and what was the cost? Was told that Cub Crafters wanted no part of that installation at this point.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonite View Post
    Thanks for the reply and info. Who installed the G3X and what was the cost? Was told that Cub Crafters wanted no part of that installation at this point.

Cheers!
    G3X installed by Cubcrafters in Yakima. Took a few extra days and about 10K more than the most expensive
    radio package. Might be a little cheaper now that they have done it once. So not cheap but admired by all.
    I do not think Cubcrafters is prepared to alter their paint schemes to do custom work as it will slow them down
    and they are back ordered now. Tru Track occasionally gets confused and I have learned if that happens to
    switch it off and then back on so it re boots. Got the upgraded transponder for traffic which works in Florida
    and perhaps not everywhere in California. In any event Cubcrafters will install the two screen G3X.
    Call and speak with Pete.
    Cheers
    Alan
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

Thanks Alan for the info!

Hi Carbonite. Did you order your Carbon Cub yet? Interesting reading your post as I have a similar plan in mind for my CC. I think it's a great aerial photography platform and having the TruTrak on board is a good investment for that purpose alone, let alone the long leisurely drives to your shoot location.

Hi Josh
    I have a two month old CC with lots of hi tech equip.
    Cubcrafters will do it if asked. I put in the G3X two screen package (might be only one to date)
    and the Tru Track A/P.
    Alan
    Sure would like to see a picture of your panel with the two G3Xs and A/P.

Thanks.
    Phil

sky1711@yahoo.com

Smile Re: New CC Purchase Considerations

Quote Originally Posted by philsal View Post
    Sure would like to see a picture of your panel with the two G3Xs and A/P.

Thanks.
    Phil

Hi Phil,
    If you have the April issue of Plane & Pilot the CC featured is my plane and
    there is a photo of the panel in the article. I will be at the airport tomorrow
    and will get a fresh photo and E mail it to you. The double screen G3X fits
    nicely in the panel along with the round TruTrack AP. This, or course, leaves
    little room for anything else and I would like to add a Garmin SL40 transceiver
    as I am not really happy with the Becker.It works but is difficult to tune
    and not enough punch.
    Alan

sky1711@yahoo.com
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

Smile Re: New CC Purchase Considerations

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    I just took a look at the Plane & Pilot issue and the article about you and your plane. Your plane looks fabulous!

Thanks.

Phil,
    We have one in Stan's hangar right now (first frame on the webcam, the black one) getting a G3X setup, and the flat black 'Phantom Cub' that you can see going through paint getting a Dynon Skyview. I'm sure these owners will post after they take delivery. If you'd like more info on these packages, contact us at California Cubs.
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com