Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tanks opinions

Default Re: Fuel Tanks opions

Ndill, No problem. All the guys i fly with are big ball busters, I would expect no less of this group. My plane is to be started 1/9/12, #203, just trying to make sure I get everything right the first time. I appreciate any and all insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Ah, thanks. There's 4 gallons of unusable which = 24 lb + the 18 lb for the tanks = 42 lb total.
    The above math is correct. We are using Part 23 standards for determining unusable fuel which includes some unusual conditions you wouldn't normally enounter. Suffice it to say most of that 4 gallons is usable under normal conditions.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by t.c.williams View Post
    Just ordered a CCSS to be started in January. Not sure if i need or should go the long range fuel tanks. Any insight would be welcome.
    On the one hand there's old pilot's addage that "there's no such thing as too much fuel". On the other hand we go to tremendous lengths to keep our aircraft light. If you will be going into the backcountry regularly where no fuel is available then the extended range tanks are probably a good idea. On the other hand, if you only take one backcountry trip per year why not take jerry jugs or fuel bladders and then you are not carring around 25 lbs the other 51 weeks per year.

Remember, when you're talking aircraft performance light is right!
    Randy Lervold

[QUOTE=t.c.williams;5134]Ndill, No problem. All the guys i fly with are big ball busters, I would expect no less of this group. My plane is to be started 1/9/12, #203, just trying to make sure I get everything right the first time. I appreciate any and all insight.[/QUOTE

No problem, do what you think fits best with your mission, I don't have much beyond a 3 hour blatter either, but for me with the price of avgas and the difference between prices at some airports it sure would be nice to carry extra gas and save some money even if I didn't need all of the gas most of the time.

For long range tanks and short range bladders:

13087.jpg

Thumbs up Re: Fuel Tanks opions

At my age, I have one of those with short range tanks --- LOL
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by t.c.williams View Post
    Just ordered a CCSS to be started in January. Not sure if i need or should go the long range fuel tanks. Any insight would be welcome.
    I have CC #183 with standard tanks. Find I have to refuel frequently and if I could re order the airplane
    I would get the larger tank. The extra weight , for me, does not make that much difference. I weigh 150
    and have had a 250 pounder in rear seat and still climb like Space Shuttle.
    Cheers
    Alan
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

Quote Originally Posted by armaurer View Post
    I have CC #183 with standard tanks. Find I have to refuel frequently and if I could re order the airplane
    I would get the larger tank. The extra weight , for me, does not make that much difference. I weigh 150
    and have had a 250 pounder in rear seat and still climb like Space Shuttle.
    Cheers
    Alan
    While exta fuel capacity is alwasy a great idea, after many cross country trips I discovered that right at 2.5 to 3 hours is when one gets ready to stretch regardless of bladder capcity. Therfore I found the fuel capacity at 24 gals to be just right as 3-3.5 hours depending on rpm is the appox duration. Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    While exta fuel capacity is alwasy a great idea, after many cross country trips I discovered that right at 2.5 to 3 hours is when one gets ready to stretch regardless of bladder capcity. Therfore I found the fuel capacity at 24 gals to be just right as 3-3.5 hours depending on rpm is the appox duration. Gary
    I guess I like to be able to take a few of my shorter flights and not have to stop to refuel.
    On my short trips I tend to leave the power around 2300 RPM and it uses a little more fuel.
    alan
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

I'm with Gary. 2.5-3 hours I'm ready to stretch and walk around for a bit. To each his own though....

Pete D.