Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine heater

Smile Engine heater

Here in Indiana the temperatures drop pretty low in the winter.
    We have had some 15 dF mornings so far.
    Our Carbon Cubs don't like to start at anything below freezing unless they are heated.
    To help solve the problem I built a heater.
    This is the unit I purchased from Ace Hardware for $20

I popped the handles off the front and added an aluminun right angle vent adaptor from Home Depot to the front with sheet metal screws.
    A dryer vent hose and a plywood base to keep it from tipping completed the unit. Total cost -- less than $40.

I added a movers blanket from Harbor Freight for $7.99 on sale.
    This keeps the engine warm to the touch on the lowest (750Watts) setting.

Works great!
    Bill

PS - nothing gets very hot . You can lay your hand on the bottom surfaces.
    When It gets really cold I will use the 1500 Watt setting.
    Last edited by seastar; 12-21-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Default Re: Engine heater

Nice set up Bill.
    Ben Redman, GM
    RARE Aircraft Ltd
    www.rareaircraft.com
    ben@rareaircraft.com
    507-331-8446

Very nice, good workmanship!

Pleases be careful though, if you see any fuel or oil leaks don't put the heater on!
    Randy Lervold

I like you ingenuity Bill, looks like that heater works great. I have a question for any one reading this thread, I installed a tanis heater last year and it works great but what is the thought process on keeping them plugged in all the time or just a hour or two before you fly?
    Christopher Cater
    GREAT LAKES CUBS
    www.greatlakescubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ccater View Post
    I like you ingenuity Bill, looks like that heater works great. I have a question for any one reading this thread, I installed a tanis heater last year and it works great but what is the thought process on keeping them plugged in all the time or just a hour or two before you fly?
    My opinion: keep it on all the time. The heating/cooling cycle is asking for moisture condensation.
    Randy Lervold

I studied this problem for a long time before settling on a system. The literature supports Randy's worries about condensation resulting from cycling engine heaters WITHOUT FLYING. In other words, if you warm the engine with an engine heater, or oil pan heater...you should fly the airplane and get oil temps to normal before you turn the system off. After fretting about this, getting the check book out, then reading more and putting it away...I came to the conclusion that I would warm the airplane ( in a solid but unheated hangar) with a couple of light bulbs near the exhaust and two large sleeping bags making a "turbo" cowl cover. The ambient temps surrounding the engine are always ca. 70 deg and there are no hot/cold spots for condensation.

Another advantage ... the cost for two mechanics trouble lights is ca. $30... Ralph, in Montana
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

I tried the "light bulb" trick on another airplane I owned and could not get the engine warm enough with 200 Watts of bulbs when the temperatures dropped into the low teens.
    Thats why I built the heater with 750/1500 watts of output.

On the 750 watt setting you can hold your hand on the surface of the heater or the tube.
    That should be well below the ignition temperature of gasoline or oil.
    I have not measured the temperatures when the unit is set to 1500 watts but will do so today with my infrared thermometer.

Additionally, the placement of the heat outlet tube is behind the gascolator drain and any location where engine oil would leak.

Bill

The lower teens (above zero) would be a moderate winter day for us here in N. Montana. This is a labor intensive process because the key is getting the old sleeping bags on the cowl tightly. When I start the engine, even at sub-zero weather, the Dynon oil temp reads right at 70 deg. This won't warm an engine quickly either...it fits what I need, doesn't add weight to the plane, doesn't use much electricity, and is cheap to buy....I'm sure it doesn't fit all missions. R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Smile Re: Engine heater

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Very nice, good workmanship!

Pleases be careful though, if you see any fuel or oil leaks don't put the heater on!
    Randy's comment concerned me so before I flew my Cub yesterday morning I made some measurements.

The heater had been on all night and was set on the 750 Watt setting.
    The hangar air temperature was 34dF. (Warm for this time of year)
    The outlet air temperature of the heater was 86dF.
    The engine temperature measured at the top through the inlet cowls was 74dF.
    The highest temperature I could find on the outside of the heater was 99dF. Since the unit is made of thin aluminum the inside temperature is probably about the same.

I increased the heater to the 1500 Watt setting.
    After the temperature stabilized, the highest temperature I could find on the outside surface was 119dF.

Various sources give the ignition temperature of gasoline as about 495dF.
    That gives a large margin of safety for any drops of gas or oil that might drip on the heater.

As an additional test, I placed the heater outside, set on the 1500 Watt setting and dribbled some gasoline down inside the air tube.
    It evaporated immediately with no ignition.

I certainly don't want to burn up my Cub and believe the system is safe as built.
    Bill

I increased the heater to the 1500 Watt setting.
    After the temperature stabilized, the highest temperature I could find on the outside surface was 119dF.

Very nice Bill, excellent evaluation of your heater idea. Thanks. It looks like a hanger temperature below 15-20dF will require 1500 watts.

Kelly