Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Option Opinions?

Default Option Opinions?

Hello all, looks like I will be ordering a wing kit/fuselage kit in the very near future. what options did you go with?

Chris

Default Re: Option Opinions?

Hi Chris

Good to see another person from Michigan going to build. Let me ask you a couple of questions. What do you want to build? EAB or LSA I think this will help pick out your options. Landing lights, none - one - two ? Long range fuel? If you are going with the 0-200 you may not need it. But if you put a 320, 340, or 360 in it and you can't keep the power settings down then long range fuel might be the way to go. Being you fly in the GREAT LAKE STATE are you ever going to put it on floats? If so now is the time to put the float fittings and tabs on. Extended baggage? The more stuff you add it pushes you out of the LSA. So what do really want to do with it? Big dicision to make.

Mark R.
    Last edited by wzlyyn; 12-19-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Hey Mark, I will not be LSA, I'll eventaully be on floats, what I have so far is extended range and baggage, 3x3 gear, strobes and dual landing lights, I'll be doing my own panel, I still haven't decided on the IO-360, 340 and maybe a 390??? The float fittings, and I think there were a few more but I can't recall and I'm not in front of a computer at the moment.

Chris

Mark and Chris

The Carbon Cub EX comes with the brackets for bolt on float fittings, as does the Carbon Cub SS and all of the Sport Cubs. If or when you get ready to install floats, all you need to do is bolt on the fittings.
    When you certify the Carbon Cub EX, you need to certify it EAB and if you want to fly it LSA you would set the gross weight at 1320lbs on wheels and 1430lbs on floats and it will qualify for LSA. If you don't need LSA we recommend the gross weight at 1865lbs.
    You are right about trying to decide now what mission your Carbon Cub EX will fly. If you want to figure weights before you build, use the Carbon Cub SS order sheet and it will calculate the weights for you. If you do this you will need to add 25lbs at the end for the Carbon Cub EX.

Thanks
    Mitch

Thanks for info. on the float fittings Mitch.
    Chris it sounds like your going EAB 1850 gross. GREAT!! I think you have enough info. to order wing and fuselage kit. As for the engine I'm a firm believer in lighter is better. The IO-360 and the 390 are a heaver engine than the 340. The little bit of horsepower gain would be lost to weight difference between them and the 340 stroker. My own opinion would be put the CC340 stroker in it. Its lighter than a standard ECI 340 stroker. Cub Crafters took alot of weight off of the engine. Plus they have a install kit for it and they could help with any problems you might have putting it in. Dan L. built his cub with a defrost set up. Talk to Mitch about the parts needed. I think in Michigan it would be a good thing to have. A good engine pre-heater is a must. Tannis or Reif. The FUN FACTOR gets better as the plane gets lighter.
    Let me know when you order the kits. I would like to stop over and take a good look see.
    Mark R.
    Last edited by wzlyyn; 12-20-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Mark

You are absolutely right about light weight and the fun factor. We have done a lot of testing to find what we believe the perfect combination.

Thanks
    Mitch

Hey Mark, are you building one? Who else in MI is?

Chris

Chris

At this time I'm still squirreling money away. I don't know of any being built in Michigan. RanRan is in St. Clare Shores area, and he might be. Some of the other kit companys have a google map of the kits across the country with a little info. on them. Mitch might not like this idea but, sure wish Cub Crafters would do the same thing. That way other builders could keep in touch. Plus give idiots like me a chance to see what we are getting into. LOL I guess for me the money isn't as big of a problem as much as the time. Thats one of the points I liked about the CC kit. I'm just an old man (my kids call me a relic) that needs to fulfill a dream. I work in high tech. but I still think state of the art radios are Progresso soup cans and a long string. (not much lighter than that). I hope to be ready to order in short order.

Let me know about your adventure and keep us posted.
    Mark R.

Mark

It is my hope that all of the Carbon Cub EX builders use this forum to exchange ideas and comment on the build process. It has worked pretty well so far, plus if none of the builders want to respond to a question the factory can. I think it is nice to have a single point for all of the combined build information can go to, so all the builders can benefit.

Thanks
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Mark and Chris

The Carbon Cub EX comes with the brackets for bolt on float fittings, as does the Carbon Cub SS and all of the Sport Cubs. If or when you get ready to install floats, all you need to do is bolt on the fittings.
    When you certify the Carbon Cub EX, you need to certify it EAB and if you want to fly it LSA you would set the gross weight at 1320lbs on wheels and 1430lbs on floats and it will qualify for LSA. If you don't need LSA we recommend the gross weight at 1865lbs.
    You are right about trying to decide now what mission your Carbon Cub EX will fly. If you want to figure weights before you build, use the Carbon Cub SS order sheet and it will calculate the weights for you. If you do this you will need to add 25lbs at the end for the Carbon Cub EX.

Thanks
    Mitch
    Mitch, your comments above have me scratching my head. Perhaps you could explain the gross weight procedures. When the DAR came and inspected my plane and issued me my Experimental Airworthiness Certificate (EAB) I asked him about the gross weight. I wondered if he and I determined it then. He replied that because it was an Experimental I could set the gross at whatever I wanted. No where is there a number written down saying the gross is 1865 or 1320 or any other number.

If I'm reading your post above accurately I could still call this a 1320 pound LSA even though that was not my intention at the time it was inspected. Is this correct? If so it seems as though I could 'move' it back and forth depending on my load for the day or lack of a medical. Or did the DAR overlook something he shouldn't have that day?

Chris, welcome to the EX world. You'll enjoy the entire process I'm sure. I built mine similar to what you're describing you want. I too looked at the engine choices you mentioned. In the end I decided on the CC O-340 because of its lightweight, a ready-made cowl and FWF kit for that engine. I'm very pleased with the performance and fuel burn. With the Catto prop I burn about 2 gph less to get the same cruise speeds as compared to a 160 hp O-320 with Borer prop that I had in a very similar PA18.

My thread on the mods I made might give you some ideas too.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011