Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Option Opinions?

Default Re: Option Opinions?

Dan

As the manufacturer you can set your gross weight at whatever you want, however we recommend the maximum gross wt of 1865lbs. We fully tested the airframe to 1865lbs X 4G's plus 50%. As an EAB if you set the gross weight at 1320lbs on wheels and 1430lbs on floats and the Carbon Cub EX will qualify for LSA, and you can increase the gross wt be having a DAR come out and reinspect the aircraft. Once the gross wt has been increased, it can not be brought down to a lower gross weight and the aircraft will not qualify for LSA.
    I have included some of the literature from the main page of the kit section on our web site.

CARBON CUB EX ADDED TO FAA LIST OF AMATEUR-BUILT AIRCRAFT KITS

CubCrafters has received notification from the Federal Aviation Administration that their National Kit Evaluation Team had completed its evaluation of CubCrafters' Carbon Cub EX amateur-built aircraft kit. Completion of this process means the FAA has evaluated the Carbon Cub EX and that the aircraft has been added to the list of eligible Amateur-Built Aircraft Kits on the FAA website. The list is provided as a service to prospective builders researching kit options.*The builder is legal to fly the Carbon Cub EX as a "Light Sport" pilot as long as the kit is certified at a maximum weight of 1,320 lbs. Our kit was tested to ASTM standards at a gross weight of 1,865 lbs. If you decide to set the gross weight at 1,865 lbs, you will not be allowed to fly as a "Light Sport" pilot; and you will need a medical and a private pilots license.
    A gross weight limit of 1,320 lbs on wheels or 1,430 lbs on floats applies to all LSA aircraft.

Thanks
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Dan

As the manufacturer you can set your gross weight at whatever you want, however we recommend the maximum gross wt of 1865lbs. We fully tested the airframe to 1865lbs X 4G's plus 50%. As an EAB if you set the gross weight at 1320lbs on wheels and 1430lbs on floats and the Carbon Cub EX will qualify for LSA, and you can increase the gross wt be having a DAR come out and reinspect the aircraft. Once the gross wt has been increased, it can not be brought down to a lower gross weight and the aircraft will not qualify for LSA.
    I have included some of the literature from the main page of the kit section on our web site.

CARBON CUB EX ADDED TO FAA LIST OF AMATEUR-BUILT AIRCRAFT KITS

CubCrafters has received notification from the Federal Aviation Administration that their National Kit Evaluation Team had completed its evaluation of CubCrafters' Carbon Cub EX amateur-built aircraft kit. Completion of this process means the FAA has evaluated the Carbon Cub EX and that the aircraft has been added to the list of eligible Amateur-Built Aircraft Kits on the FAA website. The list is provided as a service to prospective builders researching kit options.*The builder is legal to fly the Carbon Cub EX as a "Light Sport" pilot as long as the kit is certified at a maximum weight of 1,320 lbs. Our kit was tested to ASTM standards at a gross weight of 1,865 lbs. If you decide to set the gross weight at 1,865 lbs, you will not be allowed to fly as a "Light Sport" pilot; and you will need a medical and a private pilots license.
    A gross weight limit of 1,320 lbs on wheels or 1,430 lbs on floats applies to all LSA aircraft.

Thanks
    Mitch
    Hi Mitch, Ok I understand all of that. But what I don't understand, I guess, is where is the gross 'set'? As I said, none of my paperwork from the DAR has a gross weight number on it. I told him I didn't want to be LSA and so maybe he just meant something like: "Ok your gross can be whatever you want it to be." But if that is the case is there someplace, like the operating limitations where a number should be recorded? Or is it just a number I keep in my head? Or could I still decide I want to go LSA with this plane?
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Dan

When you filled out your initial weight and balance, you should have an empty weight and a gross weight on the weight and balance.

Thanks
    Mitch

Hey Dan, whats the story with the Kydex tube in the fuse? I have been thinking of how I could do something similar.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Hey Dan, whats the story with the Kydex tube in the fuse? I have been thinking of how I could do something similar.

Chris
    Hi Chris, I took a piece of Kydex and rolled into a tube that is 6" in diameter and 36" long. The overlap is riveted with plastic rivets and held to the fuselage tubes with a couple of large hose clamps around the 6" dia. and those clamps are held tight to the fuselage tubes with smaller hose clamps around the steel tubes. I think I have some pics I can include.

The intent was to have a fishing rod tube and it works fine for that. But I also found it to be a good place to store my pre-heat 4" dia. tube shown elsewhere.

The Kydex tube weighed about 1 pound. It was pretty good utility for a minimal weight gain, in my opinion.

DSCN1781.jpg

DSCN1782.jpg

DSCN2115.jpg

This pre-heat tube slips right in the fishing rod tube too.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011