Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Affording an airplane

Default Re: Affording an airplane

Randy, you said, "Don't let "only 100 hp" fool you, a Sport Cub S2 will not give away anthing to a stock PA18-150, and on 50 less horsepower. The Sport Cub is lighter and more modern and will likely provide years of low cost operation."

You're probably right, but ........ are you sure about the performance comparison?

My guess would be that when comparing a Sport Cub to a PA 18-150 with a pilot, full fuel and typically equipped, that:

• The Sport Cub would land a bit shorter due to less weight;
    • The takeoff would be a slight advantage to the PA 18-150;
    • Climb to altitude would be big advantage for the PA 18-150.

I confess my ignorance as my only experience is in flying a PA 18-180. So I need an education.

Talking Re: Affording an airplane

Hi Norm,
    I was out last evening in s/n 33. With 2/3 fuel and ample Tom (185lbs) in the cockpit I saw 900fpm to 1200agl climbing out at 54mph. Take off roll with one notch of flaps was quite short, 250'-300' would be my guess. I saw about 100mph TAS at 3500'
    It's been about 30 years since I've had my mitts on a Super Cub so I just offer this as a data point.
    And those LED lights are awesome.
    -tom

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Randy, you said, "Don't let "only 100 hp" fool you, a Sport Cub S2 will not give away anthing to a stock PA18-150, and on 50 less horsepower. The Sport Cub is lighter and more modern and will likely provide years of low cost operation."

You're probably right, but ........ are you sure about the performance comparison?

My guess would be that when comparing a Sport Cub to a PA 18-150 with a pilot, full fuel and typically equipped, that:

• The Sport Cub would land a bit shorter due to less weight;
    • The takeoff would be a slight advantage to the PA 18-150;
    • Climb to altitude would be big advantage for the PA 18-150.

I confess my ignorance as my only experience is in flying a PA 18-180. So I need an education.

Dear Ample Tom,

That's impressive performance for an O-200-A. I'm impressed! Good data point.

I was born with a very pronounced skeptical look on my face, so it's a genetic trait that I inherited ...... Thanks for the input!

Who needs better performance than that?!
    Last edited by Norm; 03-03-2010 at 05:18 PM.

I'm around 200 lb., and with full fuel at sea level and standard temperature, my Sport Cub S2 #62 shows 800 fpm climbing at 80 mph. I'm still breaking in newly reworked cylinders, so I'm trying to keep speeds up and temps down.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

"Pilwat:
    Re: Affording an airplane
    I'm around 200 lb., and with full fuel at sea level and standard temperature, my Sport Cub S2 #62 shows 800 fpm climbing at 80 mph. I'm still breaking in newly reworked cylinders, so I'm trying to keep speeds up and temps down.
    Jeff Jacobs"

Wow. You big guys are getting good performance out of that little O-200. Geo H. has lost so much weight that he must launch like the space shuttle!

That's great performance, really. Good luck with the new cylinders.

I'm only 170! lol

Is it possible to own a super cub at 17 an hour with a 675 house payment? what's the average payment per month on a...let's say 80,000 plane? Just need a ballpark figure(a number to figure out expenses).