Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affording an airplane

Default Affording an airplane

I have my private liscense and would like a super cub, but how is it affordable? I've been looking at J-3's, but whats the comapison when you perform the Lycoming conversion and is the bang for the buck worth it? Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Affording an airplane

There are a multitude of differences between a J-3 and a Super Cub. Everything from airframe to engine to intended mission. Its not just a simple bump in horsepower. We're really talking apples and oranges when you try to compare the two.

So tell us what you are looking to get out of an airplane...i.e., what's your use for it? Thats a good starting point.

The main use will primarily be leisure. I would like the plane to land and take off in short distances, the is alot of countryside by me and there are some great hayfields to land in, but some of them are short and some of them have great run in.

Back to your original question then. Going from J-3 to SuperCub, is the extra bang for your buck worth it? I think definitely so! For the sake of our discussion here I am talking about a stock J-3, 65hp and that most ubiquitous of SuperCubs, the 150hp version, there's more of them thany any other SC variant I would venture.

For shortfields both airplanes can land in similar distances (with slight advantage to J-3 due to lower weight). For takeoff, both airplanes to me are still similar, but only if barely to lightly loaded (meaning just you and minimum fuel). Start adding up the payload and advantage definitely swings to the SuperCub. Its T/O performance at gross (anecdotally) I believe is better than a similar stock J-3. And for sure your climb performance will be vastly improved. SuperCub can carry more both in weight and in volume, can get there faster due to better cruise speed, and has much improved range/endurance.

If those are things you want then yeah, I think the SuperCub is worth the extra investment. The J-3 is more suited to local flying, just bopping around. I look at it this way. If I had to choose an airplane to go out on a pleasant Sunday afternoon/evening, maybe go visit a friend a couple farms over, take a child or grandchild up for a quick hop, then its a J-3 hands down. If I want to load up a plane with travel gear, fly up into the mountains or lakes for the weekend, establish a base camp and then go play around...its definitely a SuperCub. .

Those I realize are two very polarized scenarios. But mind you, both aircraft carry out both scenarios well enough in their own right so there is most definitely some overlap. But for overall capability, if you can pay the price, advantage to SuperCub in my opinion.

And frankly if you're looking for that airplane that fits perfectly right in the middle? Its one of the new SPORT CUB's. Without a doubt its probably the best compromise of J-3/PA-11 sensibility and pleasantness coupled with capability and performance of the PA-18's.
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 02-17-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Hi Pro, Go fly every type of Cub you can get your hands on then fly the the Cub Crafters Super Sport last. Warning! You will be hooked and no other plane will do. If the price is out of your range, consider the kit that CC now offers. Could save major $ and with your mech. abillity it should be somthing you could handle more-so than the average Cub wanter. The kit is purchased in three stages, so that wuold spread out the cash outlay over a period that works for you. Worth looking in to. I might put one together myself, and I already own a SS.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by PRO View Post
    I have my private liscense and would like a super cub, but how is it affordable? I've been looking at J-3's, but whats the comapison when you perform the Lycoming conversion and is the bang for the buck worth it? Any help would be appreciated.
    Super Cubs are held in such high regard by the backcountry flying community that their values remain high. If you plan to buy a low end plane and upgrade it you might want to rethink that, in most cases it ends up being cheaper in the long run to spend a bit more but get the plane you want.

All that said I personally think that a used Sport Cub is one of the best used plane values around right now. The introduction of the Carbon Cub SS last year resulted in a fair number of Sport Cub owners to want to upgrade which put several birds on the market. These are all late model planes, usually pretty low time, that are available at a nice discount over new. Don't let "only 100 hp" fool you, a Sport Cub S2 will not give away anthing to a stock PA18-150, and on 50 less horsepower. The Sport Cub is lighter and more modern and will likely provide years of low cost operation.

FWIW,
    Randy Lervold

Thanks for the help everyone. Going to have to track down a sport cub and giver a test flight. I've been a mechanic for the family business for 23 years so mechanical ability is not lacking. Would it be cheaper to build versus buying?

I've been a mechanic for the family business for 23 years so mechanical ability is not lacking. Would it be cheaper to build versus buying?
    Yes, over a new plane, not so over a used Sport Cub.
    Randy Lervold

Thanks for the help everyone. Going to have to track down a sport cub and giver a test flight. I've been a mechanic for the family business for 23 years so mechanical ability is not lacking. Would it be cheaper to build versus buying?
    Check out CC inventory. Red on White S-2 real close to you in Michigan. Lot of plane for the price. Belongs to Chris Cater. He is a dealer for CC, great guy! I have flown this plane and it's a dandy.
    Greg

Good Morning Pro,

If you are looking for a S2 Sport Cub I have a 2008 S2 loaded up with all of our most popular options and it is ready to go. I just reduced the price to sell. I am a Certified Sales Center for CubCrafters and it was my demo Cub for the last year, N973CC has only 91 pampered hours on it TT, its a real peach. The Cub is in Cadillac Michigan KCAD and I would be more then happy to come over and show you how much fun this bird is. If this is somthing that may intrest you please give me a call any time.

Chris Cater
    Great Lakes Cubs LLC
    231-633-8359
    ccater@chartermi.net