Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skis on

Default skis on

It is December and it is snowing so it is time to change over.

DSCN2139.jpg

The 31's come off and the wheel penetration skis and 8" tires go on.

DSCN2140.jpg

A chain hoist from the trusses easily lifts the Carbon Cub using the lifting rings and a spreader bar.

DSCN2142.jpg

The skis are Landes LW2500's and the tail ski is one from Burl's. Also shown are the recently installed tail feather gap seals. The empty weight is 1056 pounds in this configuration.

More fun to follow....
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: skis on

Now that does look like fun! Can you drop my snowboard and I off on a ridge somewhere with that thing? :-)

Pete D

Good snow conditions and weather combined on January 1st 2012 for some fun on the snow. My first stop was Schafer Meadow airstrip in the Great Bear Wilderness.

DSCN2174.jpg

Dropping down into the Middle Fork with Schafer airstrip visable in the upper right.

DSCN2181.jpg

Winter at its best.

DSCN2182.jpg

DSCN2186.jpg

Leaving Schafer.

DSCN2188.jpg

Flying down the Middle Fork to join the North Fork and then up to the cabins on the border.

DSCN2194.jpg

Saw some friends that spent New Years Eve at the cabins. Glacier Park and part of BC in the background.

DSCN2198.jpg

On the way home we checked out Spotted Bear.......

DSCN2200.jpg

and then Meadow Creek.

A great way to start the new year.

The Carbon Cub is a great performer on skis too. With 44 gallon tanks and 6 gph I can see a lot of the back country without worrying about fuel issues.
    Last edited by Dan L; 01-02-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo

It has been an odd winter for a La Nina in the northwest. I'd hoped for more snow and cold. Here's a few images from early February 2012:

DSCN2210.jpg

DSCN2218.jpg

DSCN2217.jpg

Nice photos Dan!

Dan, looks like you and that new Cub are having a lot of fun! Beautiful photographs too!

March 10th 2012 was a rare sunny day for Montana and northern Idaho and I decided to launch for one of my favorite destinations; Fish Lake Idaho. After a full winter of snow there is a lot built up at Fish Lake:

DSCN2240.jpg

This is looking to the east down the strip and towards the lake from the cabin at the west end of the strip. The snow is even with the bottom of the roof eve.

DSCN2235.jpg

Looking back towards the cabin.

DSCN2246.jpg

The airstrip had a crust on it from a few days of sun. But anywhere the snow had some shade it was bottomless powder. Snowshoes are a must.

DSCN2236.jpg

The Carbon Cub EX looks ready for the flight home. This would be a poor place to have trouble. The next day the weather turned back to winter with high winds, rain in the valley and snow in the mountains.

idaho_apr_09 008.jpg

This image is from a different trip a few years ago but shows Fish Lake from above in winter. At that time I had my PA18 and had laid a set of tracks prior to landing.

Nice job staying out of those powder pockets in the shadows. It might have taken some major shoveling and stomping, had you fallen into one! What a beautiful day that must have been for your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
    Nice job staying out of those powder pockets in the shadows. It might have taken some major shoveling and stomping, had you fallen into one! What a beautiful day that must have been for your trip.
    Hi Rick,

The airstrip was all pretty crusty. It was just back in the trees where there was a lot of powder. And I'm sure there is a lot more fresh stuff up there now. Fish Lake is in your back yard more or less.

So I'm assuming this is the Rick that I got the Baby Bushwheel tires from, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Hi Rick,

The airstrip was all pretty crusty. It was just back in the trees where there was a lot of powder. And I'm sure there is a lot more fresh stuff up there now. Fish Lake is in your back yard more or less.

So I'm assuming this is the Rick that I got the Baby Bushwheel tires from, right?
    Dan,
    Yes I'm the one you got the tires from. I know Fish Lake is off over the Bitterroots, somewhere to the West-southwest, but have never been there and doubt if I could find it without a good map. It's too far for me to walk anyway!

The snow sure looks good in your photos, just a wee bit of cushion on top of the crust.

I'm amazed at how quickly you put that CC kit together. You built it much quicker than it's taking me to build a radio controlled scale model Super Cub. Yours sure looks like a great airplane, and I would guess that the performance is hard to beat, at least for the operating cost. You must be liking it, since you're getting some good use out of it!

We live a few miles North of the Stevensville airport, so have a good view of the Bitterroot Mountains from here. I'll bet you're right about more snow at Fish Lake. It has been snowing a lot in the mountains over the past few days, including today.