Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tip #4 Vernatherm Installation

Default Re: Tip #4 Vernatherm Installation

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph206 View Post
    So, the pop it valve is just a primitive thermostat that works on , as the temp rises the pressure rises and pops the valve?????

Add: Sorry it cant be, as the temp rises the pressure goes down. I am confused on how the popit valve works.
    Close. The pop-it valve the predates the vernatherm. They do the same thing but by different methods.

The pop-it valve controls the oil flow through the oil cooler based off of the pressure of the oil. Cold oil is thicker and therefore the pressure is higher, pushing the valve off of the seat and allowing oil to bypass the cooler. Bypassing the cooler, the oil just circulates through the engine (sucked out of the oil sump, through the oil pump, filter, oil galleys, out the the heads etc and back to the oil sump). When the oil gets warmer it get thinner and the pressure goes down. Lower pressure lets the pop-it valve close and the oil then goes through the cooler as well as everything else.

The vernatherm goes in a slightly different part of the oil system (though very close to the same place) and controls the oil flow going through the cooler by temperature. It works almost identically to the thermostat in your car. It also has a spring but what causes it to open and close is a bi-metallic part that changes with temperature. It can more easily regulate the flow to the cooler because it tends to open slower and will meter flow (verses the pop-it valve is more either open or closed)
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Close. The pop-it valve the predates the vernatherm. They do the same thing but by different methods.

The pop-it valve controls the oil flow through the oil cooler based off of the pressure of the oil. Cold oil is thicker and therefore the pressure is higher, pushing the valve off of the seat and allowing oil to bypass the cooler. Bypassing the cooler, the oil just circulates through the engine (sucked out of the oil sump, through the oil pump, filter, oil galleys, out the the heads etc and back to the oil sump). When the oil gets warmer it get thinner and the pressure goes down. Lower pressure lets the pop-it valve close and the oil then goes through the cooler as well as everything else.

The vernatherm goes in a slightly different part of the oil system (though very close to the same place) and controls the oil flow going through the cooler by temperature. It works almost identically to the thermostat in your car. It also has a spring but what causes it to open and close is a bi-metallic part that changes with temperature. It can more easily regulate the flow to the cooler because it tends to open slower and will meter flow (verses the pop-it valve is more either open or closed)
    I am Clear now.
    Thank You for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    190 isn't going to hurt anything but it would be better to keep it steadier.
    I've had about 25 hours with the Vernatherm now and the temperature slowly rises to 175-178 over the first 10 minutes or so of flight and sits there.

Prior to this I had half of the cooler blanked off and was lucky to reach 155 in the New Zealand summer. This was giving me water in the oil issues which I suspect will now be resolved (next oil change due in another 10-15 hours)

A new gasket should be used between the accessory drive case and oil screen housing (make sure both surfaces are clean before installation). Reinstall the oil screen housing and torque the housing bolts to 15inlbs. Tighten and safety the vernatherm (torque to 300inlbs), reinstall the oil temperature probe. Test run the engine and check for oil leaks. If you don’t have any oil leaks, you have just successfully installed your vernatherm.

[/QUOTE]

Mitch,

Is it still 15 inlbs for the housing to accessory case bolts with the oil filter housing?

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibob View Post
    I've had about 25 hours with the Vernatherm now and the temperature slowly rises to 175-178 over the first 10 minutes or so of flight and sits there.

Prior to this I had half of the cooler blanked off and was lucky to reach 155 in the New Zealand summer. This was giving me water in the oil issues which I suspect will now be resolved (next oil change due in another 10-15 hours)
    I too have about 25 hours on factory new installed Vernatherm/spin on oil filter. Temp climbs to 178 and never moves regardless of OAT and power settings. Very happy with it!
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL