Thread: Particulate Matter in Fuel Tank

Default Particulate Matter in Fuel Tank

Hi Everyone
    Since I picked up my new CC, when checking fuel there is always lots of specks of stuff
    coming out with the drained fuel.
    More from the front drain than the rear.
    Wondered if this is common and if it will all flake off and stop
    or if I need to worry about clogging the fuel strainer???
    Any ideas??
    Happy Holidays
    Alan
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

Default Re: Particulate Matter in Fuel Tank

No, not common. Please keep your eye on it, any idea what sort of particles they are?
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    No, not common. Please keep your eye on it, any idea what sort of particles they are?
    Hi Randy,
    These particles have been draining since I first picked up the airplane.
    If I strain three or four times it really decreases but is always there.
    Small flakes that settle to the bottom when fuel is strained.
    I thought it was part of the manufacturing process of the tank and would stop.
    The flakes are small but easy to see.
    Should I have my airplane service service people look at the fuel strainer?
    I use Aircraft Engineering in Bartow, Florida. They are super and John Moreland
    know them well. I was not too concerned but at least one pilot friend will not fly
    with me over concern about this. They did repair the oil temp gauge on Friday.
    They found that a screw had been put thru the lead and shorted the oil temp probe.
    it is now working fine.
    Best Regards
    Alan
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

Alan after I picked up my sport cub I had like salt and pepper flakes in the tester everytime for a year or more and I still get the occasional such flake after 4 years. Mostly at the gasculator. I would go ahead and drain it a couple times and the flakes would no longer show up until the next day. I don't know if it is the same or not but maybe this will help.
    Last edited by couleeone; 12-10-2011 at 05:42 AM.
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Hi Geo and Alan, I too had exactly the same salt & pepper type crud in my S2 but it eventually went away but defiantley took several months . If you poured it onto your hand the flakes simply melt away. It was very odd and thought I had somehow caused the issue as I used some teflon grease to lube the gas caps. It never caused any issues and did over time eventually clean up and go away. I now have a Carbon Cub but did not have that issue. Best Gary

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    I have seen the flakes in several airplanes at various times. I don't always see them with every sumping and what is present never numbers more than a half dozen very small flakes. Interesting to note I have only seen them when draining the gascolator.

I also have never had an operational engine issue due to the flakes being present. I can shed no light on what they might be but I can also say that I don't think they are a serious concern.

JM

Angry Re: Particulate Matter in Fuel Tank

I have the same white flakes as described in mine. They have been there since plane was picked up. Only at the gas collator. .? Looks like paint flakes? Seems to be decreasing with time as more fuel goes through the system. Of all the carbon cubs I have owned this last one #170 is the only one I have seen this in. Sorry no answers as to what it is???

Oops. Didn't mean for the angry face to go on there. Fat fingers on I pad! Have a great day guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyroyce View Post
    I have the same white flakes as described in mine. They have been there since plane was picked up. Only at the gas collator. .? Looks like paint flakes? Seems to be decreasing with time as more fuel goes through the system. Of all the carbon cubs I have owned this last one #170 is the only one I have seen this in. Sorry no answers as to what it is???
    Hello Everyone
    Thanks for the notes about the chips in the fuel.
    Seems to be decreasing so will watch. Suspect it is paint.
    I believe, in new airplanes the gas caps are so tight they scrape paint from the filler cap area?..
    Not sure
    Stay tuned
    Alan
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

Both the caps and the filler necks are SS and should not have paint on them. I have never seen this on a Top Cub but have seen it on several Sport/Carbon cubs. My theory is that it is something with the plastic lines from when the line material is manufactured. I have never seen it cause any kind of problem, I just sump til clean.

Pete D.