Clay - In response to your question for Eastbound winter ferry routes out of YKM that start Southbound, (lets say due to eastern rocky Mt. WX), and given the fact that in our case, we did not fly around YKM for the recommended 10 hours (engine break-in/familiarity with an oil change before departure)....

Our southbound objectives were eactly the same as our Clarke River route to Missoula (which we did take):

1. initially pull break-in HP
2. Keep the intial engine break-in altitude as low as possible for air flow - around 7 to 8,000ft.
3. Pick inital airports based on 10gph apart
3. with heated hangars
4. with multiple runways for x-winds.
5. and good motels for overnight stops
6. change oil after 10-11 hours of running and settle down to 2,400RPM at 6.5gph

Going southbound, an added objective was to stay well east of the Cascade and Sierra mountains for turbulence, and avoid any WX/fog that might stack against those mountains from the Pacific Ocean.

Although planned, we never flew this route, but I'd like to do it some day. The stops are in bold italic print.

YKM KGCD KBNO REO KBAM KTPH 0L4 BTY 0L7 PGS FLG KINW(oil change) KAEG KDHT -

If this route could be improved or critiqued by west coast pilots - I am interested. My son Owen and I ferried our Carbon Cub home to KMQS last December. We are a father-son LearJet team during the week. Also single pilots on an MU-2 Solitaire. We've flown lots of long range jet flights, trans Atlantics/South America, but really are new to this kind of flying, and are competing over who gets the Cub on the weekends! 200 hrs. already. Owen is also a helicopter instructor and just ferried a Sikorsky S-76 from KMQS to Vancouver.

Regardless of the plane - long range flying has always been my top interest - Bob Watkins