Thread: Cross Country out of CubCrafters/YKM - Route help/tips/advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Cross Country out of CubCrafters/YKM - Route help/tips/advice

Route index:
    • Post #2: YKM to east of Mississippi loosely using I-90 through the mountains (Spokane to Sheridan).
      • Post# 5: Priest River/Lake Pend Oreille/Clark Fork drainage north of Spokane through Sand Point and down to Missoula
      • Post# 6: Spokane to Clarke Fork to Missoula then past Lincoln and out Rogers Pass.
      • Post# 7: Clark Fork to St. Ignatius then Seeley Lake to Rogers Pass
      • Post #8: Clark Fork to Paradise, MT, then Flathead River east to St. Ignatius through Jocko Pass to Lincoln and out Rogers Pass

• Post #3: YKM through Boise and Salt Lake to I-80 and points east
    • Post #10: YKM to LA via Columbia Gorge west then I-5 south
    • Post# 10: YKM to Las Vegas via US97-Klamath Falls-Reno-Las Vegas. Also notes extending to Phoenix.
    • Post #11: YKM south to east via KGCD KBNO REO KBAM KTPH 0L4 BTY 0L7 PGS FLG KINW(oil change) KAEG KDHT
    • Post #12: YKM through Boise and Salt Lake on down to Tucumcari, NM and then points east
    • Post #13: YKM-Ogden-Salt Lake-Cortez-KSAR
    • Post #14: YKM east to Grangeville, ID; then Salmon River over to Salmon, ID; east then north to Ennis, MT and I-90 to Sheridan, WY; southeast thru Custer, SD to Thedford, NE to Beatrice, NE; east to Booneville, MO then Waverly, TN to Atlanta; South thru Valdosta, GA to Grass Roots in central FL.
    • I got behind on keeping this updated...apologies. Pretty much there is route coverage of every way out of the Pacific Northwest at this point. Feel free to add your own routing to the thread.

​---

I've wanted to start a thread here for a while offering folks who are picking up a plane from CC tips and experiences regarding best routes. I would like to encourage participation from folks who have made the trip themselves and feel they have something to offer in the way of airport updates, new airport experiences, personal experiences/observations...etc. I'll offer up over time the routes that have worked best for me over the past few years that I have been around Cubcrafters. What I would not like for this thread to become is a descent into questioning someones choices or a banter about the best sightseeing along the way. To the best of our ability, I would prefer seeing this thread remain a concise chronicle of best routes out of Yakima headed to wherever. In this regard it will be easy for someone to read through and pick out the tidbits of information that aids them going forward. So pull out that Sectional or WAC and follow along, or consider using an online solution. I have found www.vfrmap.com very helpful while recounting these trips.

If you would like to share your trip please consider the following:
    • Preferrably a trip out of YKM after picking up your plane
    • Routing you took via airports and waypoints
    • Experiences at airports/FBO's along the way
    • Crew car availability at airports you visited
    • Fuel prices if they are notable
    • Good shops along the way if you had to have maintenance or an oil change enroute
    • Bad shops you would avoid in future
    • Particular and/or localized weather phenomenon that might make you consider a different route if you had to do it over

---
    If you are considering picking up your plane from YKM and flying it home I/We would like to help:
    • Let us know where you are headed
    • Any concerns or self-imposed limitations that might impact your routing choices
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 02-21-2016 at 04:27 PM.