Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Elevator & Rudder gap seals

Default Re: Elevator & Rudder gap seals

I think the frequency of cleaning has a lot to do with the type of conditions in which the plane is flying. I have been pulling mine weekly because I am landing in dirt/sand/silt. There is plenty of grit to remove. I also flip the seal over to allow the foam to reacquire the original shape since the pressures tend to compress one side or the other unevenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Cub View Post
    I think the frequency of cleaning has a lot to do with the type of conditions in which the plane is flying. I have been pulling mine weekly because I am landing in dirt/sand/silt. There is plenty of grit to remove. I also flip the seal over to allow the foam to reacquire the original shape since the pressures tend to compress one side or the other unevenly.
    Thanks for the helpful information. I guess I remain on the fence as to whether to get the gap seals. The many positive endorsements are encouraging, but the plane flies fine without them.

It's so cool and HELPFUL to be going back into old threads that deal with issues and subjects that are mostly relevant to those of you flying. During the time I spent building my EX (0047) I didn't really have the time or frame of reference to enter into, or learn from these discussions.

I'm 20 hours into my fly-off and so now all this "archived" info is suddenly not only interesting but helping me "dial in" my Cub and my flying (landings).

I went back to the beginning of this thread, and by the time I read through the posts I was picking up the phone to put my order in for a set of gap seals. Here's the comments that were exactly what I needed to hear. Can't wait to install and try out mine.

"...noticed a huge difference in being able to keep the tail off the ground until almost stopped. Certainly helps on those rough strips....I love them!"

"Improved elevator authority at low speed is the point and the upside. I haven't talked to a single owner who installed them that didn't notice a difference"

"full fwd CG, I am even able to put the tail down first before the mains with full flaps. At least 20% more elevator authority."

"I've got a couple of thousand landings in Cubs and now 100's in my Carbon Cub and 99% of them, when on wheels, have been tail-low wheel-landings. I know what the 'sight picture' looks like over the cowl and what my speed picture over the ground is too. What these gap seals change is that at the same speed as pre-seal, my AOA is flatter. I like that. Or I can land at a slower speed with the same AOA as before. I dislike 3-pointing a Cub on wheels."

"I like the flatter angle and elevator response with the seals. I also like the slower touchdown speed with the higher AOA if I choose to really get in slow. Its like landing with an extra few mph headwind. [IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cli p_image001.png[/IMG]
    after 6 landings I can see a definite improvement in the low speed handling.
    Both the elevator and rudder authority, at low speeds, has improved."

Great feedback guys.
    Thanks.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Pete, an update. I did check the elevator cable tension and tail brace wire tension. Both on spec. Before the gap seals I would get a "thumping" in the stick below 70 mph with full flaps. It would not happen at other flap settings.

After the gap seals it is gone. Can't argue with success, even if you don't understand it.
    An old post here but I'm about ready to install and adjust cables and need to set the tension. Looking around, I see that the cable tension meters are almost $1,000 and some much more. What do others do to adjust? Borrow? Rent?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    An old post here but I'm about ready to install and adjust cables and need to set the tension. Looking around, I see that the cable tension meters are almost $1,000 and some much more. What do others do to adjust? Borrow? Rent?
    You could do what I did and hire a mechanic with a meter.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    You could do what I did and hire a mechanic with a meter.
    Bill
    Yeah, I was thinking of that as well and then I got the info that an inexpensive one was available for less than $200. Here is the thread about that http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...7832#post17832.

Thanks