Thread: Master cylinder woes

Default Master cylinder woes

Hi all, I am new to cubs and am quickly finding some of those little quirks, non vented break master cyls for example. Had my right wheel completely lock on me, thankfully just BEFORE take of in route home with my 5 year old CC18. Yes, we overfilled it. There are several models of vented, like Steve's http://www.stevesaircraft.com/vbrake.php and I am wondering if anyone hase received a field approval or otherwise on such alternitives. Perhaps this is not all that big of a deal after you get used to filling them correctly. Next would be the leaky gascolator.

Default Re: Master cylinder woes

I don't know if Steve's Aircraft has an STC to install his master cylinders on a Top Cub or not, but we do use his gascolators. He didn't have the master cylinders on the market yet when we certified the Top Cub. Don't let your mechanic fill the piston type master cylinder we use like he may be used to on a Piper design, as the old diaphram style is a lot "spongier" than the piston and cylinder. Best to leave 1/2" or so of pedal movement before the brake starts to engage. Fly safe, Jim

Default Re: Master cylinder woes

Hey Jim, good to hear from you! I talked with Brian at Steve's today and it does appear that they included the CC18-180 in their STC for the vented master cylinders! You know my little uniques issues, (180A) but if were to ever install Steve's, I think a field approval could be obtained. On the gascolator, it appears I should have Steve's SA3-00 I but have an ACS brand, or something like it. Not sure how that happened, maybe the "A" issue, so I ordered a new SA3 through Becky today!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Richmond View Post
    I don't know if Steve's Aircraft has an STC to install his master cylinders on a Top Cub or not, but we do use his gascolators. He didn't have the master cylinders on the market yet when we certified the Top Cub. Don't let your mechanic fill the piston type master cylinder we use like he may be used to on a Piper design, as the old diaphram style is a lot "spongier" than the piston and cylinder. Best to leave 1/2" or so of pedal movement before the brake starts to engage. Fly safe, Jim