Thread: Elevator & Rudder gap seals

Default Elevator & Rudder gap seals

I received the new Cub Crafters elevator and rudder closed-foam gap seals this week. Being the type that likes to try out new things soon I slipped them in place - ready to fly when the weather permitted. We've had a series of wet and windy storms blow through NW Montana the last week but there was a nice lull today and I took advantage of it.

DSCN2118.jpg

I flew with a fellow in his PA18 a couple of years ago who showed me his elevator gap seals made from carefully applied duct tape. He claimed they made a difference in high AOA situations. This pilot is a professional Cub guy with many thousands of off-airport landings. So when Cub Crafters came out with this nifty kit I was ready to try it.

I made about 25 landings with my usual high AOA tail-low wheel landing. My normal procedure is to push the stick forward after the mains touch to kill lift and keep the plane stuck down. Right away I noticed better feel and control when making this control move. This is what I hoped for. But what I didn't expect was any change in the rudder effect. I almost didn't put the rudder section in place thinking it would be ineffective. I was wrong. The rudder is also noticably more responsive at low speeds.

I also took the Carbon Cub EX up to a 1000' or so and made some slow-flight turns and stalls. Same results.

Both elevator and rudder control inputs seem smoother and more coordinated. It is a fairly subtle change and for someone not used to flying on the low-speed high AOA side of the envelope it may not make much difference. Mine are staying in.

Default Re: Elevator & Rudder gap seals

You should post this on the Carbon Cub forum as well.
    Good info.
    I didn't know they were available ----
    Bill

Default Re: Elevator & Rudder gap seals

cool, I may order them for SN123