Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best battery replacement advice from Cubcrafters?

Default Best battery replacement advice from Cubcrafters?

Okay, despite the Sears battery tender, my battery finally died after 1 year and 7 months. What is the "official" best choice replacement advice from Cubcrafters? I need to order one ASAP.

Thanks!

Default Re: Best battery replacement advice from Cubcrafters?

I recently installed a Shorai Lithium-iron phosphate battery and it swings prop through first compression stroke without hesitation on CC-11-100

You may want to read this. These batterys look good.
    They could be a solution to our starting problens if they are reliable.
    http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx
    Has anyone installed one in a Carbon Cub?
    Last edited by seastar; 11-08-2011 at 07:09 AM.

This is the battery I plan to use for the next replacement and Randy can verify this but I believe you have to have a letter of authorization (LOA) to install that battery. I don't believe that's problem. This is just a heads up.
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    I think CC has used this battery.
    What is the current thinking about it???

We have one in our company Carbon Cub (N155PC) and one in our company Sport Cub (N897CC). They have been in the planes since late last spring if I remember right and seem to be doing well so far.

(mechanic's perspective-I believe engineering is holding out for more information before they commit)

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post

I am reposting this from the original thread re our batteries since you are asking if anyone els has tried the Lithium. I still believe in the Lithium ( amazing technology and save 10 lbs) and sure would love to try again some day but unfortunatley for MY engine ( unlike the good experiences Cub Crafters guys have had) was not a good one. I expect others may ahve a better experince though. I have tried the original Power Sport that comes with our CCs, The Yuasa the Extreme X2 and the Shorai Lithium. As for GEO 's comment I think heis correct that it needs a LOA for S- LSA but not for E-LSA but I leave that up to the experts.

Wellllllllllllll? I tried the Shorai Lithium battery and its not ready for prime time on a high compression motor. They have fixed the terminal issue written about below but First one had an immediate short in it and stranded me first flight until I found a nice feller who jumped me with his truck. Second one worked fine but still does not have enough cranking power on hot starts to top the Extreme x2 battery which still comes out the winner by a significant margin. I also ended up changing out starters and found I had a weak starter to boot. The testing was both before and after replacement of the starter. Interestingly the Lithium battery by Shorai advertises 270 CCA and the Extreme x2 advertises 220 CCA and is still far superior. I expect that the Lithium Iron batterys will improve over time shortly however as that weight savings is huge. Thats my pirep . Best Gary
    Last edited by glickle; 11-10-2011 at 11:54 AM.

I tried the Shorai LFX18 but it was not enough battery . Met the pres. of Shorai at reno air races and told him my experience. He exchanged my two 18s For 1 LFX36 making this a $400 dollar battery! It is the shorai case size #3 and Does NOT fit under the seat of a carbon cub but does (supposedly ) have enough guts to work on our motor. so as it develops they may get smaller. I plan to carry this battery in the back country with some jumper leads as I have been stranded before not could not prop start the carbon cub. It is very light weight. thats all I got for now. Royce

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Second one worked fine but still does not have enough cranking power on hot starts to top the Extreme x2 battery which still comes out the winner by a significant margin. I also ended up changing out starters and found I had a weak starter to boot. The testing was both before and after replacement of the starter. Interestingly the Lithium battery by Shorai advertises 270 CCA and the Extreme x2 advertises 220 CCA and is still far superior. Best Gary
    With 3 starts yesterday in temperatures +/- 30º my original Power Sports battery is barely up to the task. Do you have a source for the Extreme x2 battery, price, and I assume it fits under the seat?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dan L; 12-02-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011