Thread: Runway Length needed at Altitude

Default Runway Length needed at Altitude

Hi everyone. I am the dealer for the Colorado/New Mexico area and I have had several people ask me about the high altitude performance of the Carbon Cub. I recently had the opportunity to take mine up to an airstrip @ 7200'. The name of the strip is Delores Point CO. It was 75 F which put the density altitude @ 9700'. I was easily airborn in 175' at gross weight. Additionally i went to 16,000' and did a climb at 70 MPH. I stabilized @ 1100 FPM till 17200 at which point I came back down, but there was plenty of climb left in her. Here is a video of some of the take off and landings. If you have any questions let me know. BTW the guy who did all the measuring is a surveyor, so I trust his measurements. I personally just did the flying not the measuring.

Default Re: Runway Length needed at Altitude

Nice video, looks like you and the other guys had a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by patrickromano View Post
    Hi everyone. I am the dealer for the Colorado/New Mexico area and I have had several people ask me about the high altitude performance of the Carbon Cub. I recently had the opportunity to take mine up to an airstrip @ 7200'. The name of the strip is Delores Point CO. It was 75 F which put the density altitude @ 9700'. I was easily airborn in 175' at gross weight. Additionally i went to 16,000' and did a climb at 70 MPH. I stabilized @ 1100 FPM till 17200 at which point I came back down, but there was plenty of climb left in her. Here is a video of some of the take off and landings. If you have any questions let me know. BTW the guy who did all the measuring is a surveyor, so I trust his measurements. I personally just did the flying not the measuring.

Fabulous video and editing! Really nice work. May I ask what cameras and editing program you used? Go Pro, Drift ??? Best Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Fabulous video and editing! Really nice work. May I ask what cameras and editing program you used? Go Pro, Drift ??? Best Gary
    I use a go pro, a contour, and a Sony Nex 5. I have found that the gopro has the best picture, but is a pain to mount and use. The contour was given to me and I find it much much easier to mount and use. To edit the go pro stuff you have to convert the format which is a pain. I also use a density filter on the go pro to get rid of the prop arc. I use a free microsoft film editor called movie maker. It is very very easy and simple. I really have no idea what I am doing with it, but it works for the stuff I have used it for. I routinely get laughed at by people who actually know what they are doing; but hey it works for me!

I guess that video at 7200' msl answers my questions about strip length at 1900' msl.
    Thanks
    Bill

I have been up to Leadville (KLXV) Colorado several times. Leadville's elevation is 9927 and it is the highest public airport in The USA. I am regularly off the ground in just a few hundred feet there, even on days when density altitude is 11,000 plus. If anyone is in the Colorado area they should check out KLXV......they give certificates to anyone who lands there.....

At Flagstaff AZ with density altitude of 9500' in the morning in my sport cub S1 the takeoff is also only a couple of 100' but boy the climb sucks!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Patrick, what kind of in ear headset are you using in your video? how does it work in the high noise environment of a carbon cub? thanks, Royce