Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Belly Pod

Default Re: Belly Pod

I picked up a fifth fuel bag from Airframes at the Anchorage trade show. Five bags will fit in the pod. Six would not fit, I’m sure.

Chuck was telling me about his mod to his pod, adding a fuel reservoir up front. Sounded like a good way to go too.

CC764F62-0374-48F0-949E-49C64091AAB5.jpg

Five bags in there now of five + gallons each. So with 44 gallon tanks that’s about 70 gallons total. Depending on how you run it, that’s an easy 10 hours of flying. Enough to get you a long way out there. And back.
    Last edited by Dan L; 05-09-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Belly Pod

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I picked up a fifth fuel bag from Airframes at the Anchorage trade show. Five bags will fit in the pod. Six would not fit, I’m sure.

Chuck was telling me about his mod to his pod, adding a fuel reservoir up front. Sounded like a good way to go too.

CC764F62-0374-48F0-949E-49C64091AAB5.jpg

Five bags in there now of five + gallons each. So with 44 gallon tanks that’s about 70 gallons total. Depending on how you run it, that’s an easy 10 hours of flying. Enough to get you a long way out there. And back.
    Dan,

How much weight have you had in that pod so far? Estimating with five bags at 5+ gal and weight of bags, 160lbs?

I called him up before the show to get mine ordered so hoping to see it in a few more weeks.

Pete Meyer
    Severna Park, MD
    CCK-1865-0078
    ✈️N9PW
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Quote Originally Posted by N867SP View Post
    Dan,

How much weight have you had in that pod so far? Estimating with five bags at 5+ gal and weight of bags, 160lbs?

I called him up before the show to get mine ordered so hoping to see it in a few more weeks.

Pete Meyer
    Severna Park, MD
    CCK-1865-0078
    ✈️N9PW
    The pod is rated at 150 pounds. And you're right, that would be about what I had in there with 5 fuel bags. I have never had more than that in the pod.

With the five bags there's still room for bear spray too.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

The pod was definitely the ticket on this trip,with small tanks it would of been a completely different trip. I had all my camping gear ,tie downs, tool bag,fishing poles,food & water,small soft sided cooler right at 75Lbs plus 21.6 gals of fuel forward of the door. Had all my clothes,backpack,Yeti cooler behind rear seat, crash/ditch bag buckled in back seat and the rear baggage was practically empty pair of boots and a jacket. Being able to have the extra fuel was priceless worth every bit of aggregation modifying it. Took 10-15 min to unload and remove it for STOL contest probably no more then 15 reinstall and load back up. Having all the weight under your seat was great.
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    The pod was definitely the ticket on this trip,with small tanks it would of been a completely different trip. I had all my camping gear ,tie downs, tool bag,fishing poles,food & water,small soft sided cooler right at 75Lbs plus 21.6 gals of fuel forward of the door. Had all my clothes,backpack,Yeti cooler behind rear seat, crash/ditch bag buckled in back seat and the rear baggage was practically empty pair of boots and a jacket. Being able to have the extra fuel was priceless worth every bit of aggregation modifying it. Took 10-15 min to unload and remove it for STOL contest probably no more then 15 reinstall and load back up. Having all the weight under your seat was great.
    Chuck
    HI CHUCK
    Who made your belly pod/fuel combo? Thinking about a trip to Southern Bahamas this winter and have the small tanks as well

thx

jim

I bought the Carbon concepts pod. The fit and finish isn’t CubCrafters quality by any stretch but it did the job for me. I had to build the fuel portion in the front. I’d be happy to just let you borrow it for your trip if you like. Or you can just carry bags in a pod.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Dan,

Pete Meyer
    Severna Park, MD
    CCK-1865-0078
    ✈️N9PW
    Pete, Do you have pics of your pod and the way you attached it? Any suggestions or advise.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

Glenn,

So the forward mounts came from Randy and those are what I used. Removed cotter pins, nuts and washers. Installed brackets and the 960L thin washer. Then replaced nuts and cotter pins.

For the rear mount he sent tube clamps. I couldn’t figure out how I’d install those without screwing up fabric so I tossed them. Sheered off some 20ga Stainless down to 3/4”. Cut 2 slits in the fabric and slid the strap thru. Then used some heat shrink tubing to create anti chafe where the strap contacted the tube. Hand formed the straps around the tube and drilled for hardware. See pictures below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Glenn,

So the forward mounts came from Randy and those are what I used. Removed cotter pins, nuts and washers. Installed brackets and the 960L thin washer. Then replaced nuts and cotter pins.

For the rear mount he sent tube clamps. I couldn’t figure out how I’d install those without screwing up fabric so I tossed them. Sheered off some 20ga Stainless down to 3/4”. Cut 2 slits in the fabric and slid the strap thru. Then used some heat shrink tubing to create anti chafe where the strap contacted the tube. Hand formed the straps around the tube and drilled for hardware. See pictures below.

Thanks Pete,
    With extended baggage liner I'm not sure what I will need to do to fasten rear tube attach point.

Glenn,

I too have extended baggage option. I installed the strap forward of the extended baggage where the liner is not bonded to the lower longeron. Under aft end of D-windows. The upright prevents the strap from sliding rearward as the pod tapers aft

Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18