Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belly Pod

Default Belly Pod

I am getting ready to install the Firmin pod and am wondering if anyone might have any photos of the clamp installation in the rear. I am looking to see if their is only one slit made in the fabric and then the clamp fished through such that the clamp is under the fabric, except where the stem of the "P" exits, difficult at best, or if there are two slits with the clamp basically being on top of the fabric around the bottom outside of the tube?

Default Re: Belly Pod

The second one is what sounds right. The fabric is glued to the lower longeron, so unless you put the clamp on before you cover, the clamp will come out of the fabric two places and be exposed around the outside of the longeron. Some silicone neatly applied where the slits in the fabric are help to keep water out of the fuse.

I don't have a pic handy, sorry.

Pete D.

Thanks Pete!

Just FYI, I saw a really nice carbon fiber fuel belly pod (37gals, I think) specifically made for the carbon cub, no cutting of fabric or special clamps, ties into the existing brackets, built by Lewaero Works (Bob Wilson, 503-396-7352). Please call Bob for pricing, specs and specifics on the unit.IMG_1726.jpgIMG_1725.jpgIMG_1727.jpg
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

I picked up a Carbon Concepts belly pod in July from Randy in Wasilla. It has a lot of capacity and weighs 14 pounds.

IMG_3575.jpg

Randy finishing up the installation.

IMG_2991.jpg

Here's a my rear attach fittings. I didn't like the fabric slit/clamp method and welded an arm on a MS27405 clamp as shown and then attached it to a vertical fuselage tube.

IMG_3109.jpg

Then this 4130 plate is attached to the new internal clamp using an AN3 bolt.

IMG_3108.jpg

And the front attach fitting.

IMG_3751.jpg

I prefer an all-cargo pod. If I want to carry some fuel then the fuel bags or jugs work fine in the pod.
    Last edited by Dan L; 09-12-2017 at 08:11 AM.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Dan, looks really nice I'll have to look into that. Thanks
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I picked up a Carbon Concepts belly pod in July from Randy in Wasilla. It has a lot of capacity and weighs 14 pounds
    IMG_3751.jpg

I prefer an all-cargo pod. If I want to carry some fuel then the fuel bags or jugs work fine in the pod.
    Dan
    Did all this come out of your pod? I was thinking of bringing my pod to a glass shop and having them make the front section into fuel. But if I can get 4 bags and some gear in it I might just go that route.
    thanks
    chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Dan
    Did all this come out of your pod? I was thinking of bringing my pod to a glass shop and having them make the front section into fuel. But if I can get 4 bags and some gear in it I might just go that route.
    thanks
    chuck
    Hi Chuck, no not the cooler or Packraft 49. The four fuel bags fit nicely along with a few other items like tie downs and bear spray. I think you could get five bags in there but I just have four bags so haven’t tried that.

A nice thing about the bags is you can pull them out and cache them and not be hauling the weight around when you don’t need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I picked up a Carbon Concepts belly pod in July from Randy in Wasilla. It has a lot of capacity and weighs 14 pounds.

IMG_3575.jpg

Randy finishing up the installation.

IMG_2991.jpg

Here's a my rear attach fittings. I didn't like the fabric slit/clamp method and welded an arm on a MS27405 clamp as shown and then attached it to a vertical fuselage tube.

IMG_3109.jpg

Then this 4130 plate is attached to the new internal clamp using an AN3 bolt.

IMG_3108.jpg

And the front attach fitting.

IMG_3751.jpg

Dan,

Now that you’ve had the pod for some time what are your thoughts? How’s it holding up? Would you recommend it? What, if anything, would you do differently? What was the cost?

I’m looking into cargo pod and gathering info currently.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete Meyer
    Severna Park, MD
    CCK-1865-0078
    ✈️N9PW
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Hi Pete,

Yes, the pod has worked out very well. I thought I’d take it off when not going on a long cross country flight, but I haven’t. At 14 pounds it isn’t too heavy and I keep some things in there, like tie downs, that normally would be filling up the baggage area.

The cost was $2500.

Randy will be at the Alaska trade show 5th and 6th of May. He always has some cool stuff on display.

I got got mine a little muddy yesterday.

0FBC82D6-D293-44D5-83A4-C542EF51BA6B.jpg