Thread: Missouri Breaks/Winifred Flyin: Montana

Default Missouri Breaks/Winifred Flyin: Montana

We will be holding the annual Montana Missouri Breaks flyin in the Breaks and at 9S7 the weekend of June 11-13.

Friday 11th: Evening: Campout in the breaks, dinner at Cow Creek strip. Cow Creek is a strip in the Missouri River National Monument, along with 5 other strips still left open, is in some of the wildest country left in the US. Lots of Wildlife (trophy elk, sheep,..) beautiful views of the Missouri River as Lewis and Clark saw it 200 years ago. See Mike Vivion's article on Missouri Breaks in Pilot Getaways.

Saturday 12th: Morning: Fly to LWT (Lewistown, MT) for pancake breakfast and the Lewistown Flyin. Lewistown sits on flats at the foot of 4 small swarms of mountains. The airport is an old B-17 base, the town itself is an unknown jewel of Montana's cities.
    Mid-day: Flyouts to areas in the Lewistown area and to more of the Breaks primitive strips.
    Evening: Hangarburgers at 9S7 (Winifred) and adult beverages for those through flying for the evening.

Sunday 13th: Morning: Breakfast at the Winifred Cafe or on your own, and departure.

The Missouri Breaks area lies along the Missouri River in, essentially, the last part of the Lewis/Clark expedition untouched by civilization. It underlies the Hays MOA and when it is active, we should stay below 300' agl (like any of you get higher). The last few years the ANG has abandoned practice during the flyin, both out of respect for us and the fact that so many planes in the MOA screws up their radar. The strips within the Missouri Breaks National Monument are sod, generally E <-->W, not on maps and are the last left open by the BLM. They are grass stripped of brush and somewhat bumpy with cow-tracks. Tail wheel aircraft of all descriptions land on most of these strips and larger tricycle gear have landed at Cow Creek (2400") where the camp is. I will keep this forum updated on conditions as time approaches. We use 122.9 MHz on these back-country strips. If you are camping with us on Friday: BRING TIEDOWNS. We will provide beef, beans, salad, bread....it is a dry camp so bring your own refreshments or bathing water. This is a wilderness/unimproved camp; we will however have toilet paper and a shovel for you....the views are spectacular!!

Winifred (9S7) is now 4000' feet of sod. It is uncontrolled, CTAF 122.9 MHz. We have credit-card (100LL) and will be offering it at very competitive prices during the flyin. The Hangar has held more than 20 cubs during previous flyins, but we exceeded that number of participants during last year's flyin; BRING TIEDOWNS. Winifred itself is filled with ca. 140 august souls. The bars are filled with cowboys and, frequently, their horses. The folks are friendly, hard-working, and always excited to see a new face. The cafe will be open for breakfast and lunch and pilots can always get a "two-handed" hamburger during bar open hours. There is a small grocery store, and a museum. There are several places for Internet access. Pilots have slept in the hangar, under the wing of their aircraft, and in the lounge. There is a restroom in the lounge, and showers will be available at the swimming pool a block away.

Many past year's participants have gone from here to back-country strips in Montana (take fishing rods) and camped their way to the Johnson Creek cub flyin that occurs the following weekend (June 18-20). Some will actually head from here to Johnson Creek and fish the week before the flyin.

More information will be following as time approaches. Don't hesitate to contact me with questions. Ralph Rogers (CC-100 #24) 406 462 5487

Default Re: Missouri Breaks/Winifred Flyin: Montana

Sounds great! I'll make every effort to be there this year.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Thanks Ralph! I'm not going to miss this one this year. Jim

Maybe if I get enough tail wheel experience by then!

Quick update: It looks as though we may be, at least, as busy as flyins past and in fact Dave Kirsten(Supercub.org) is helping us celebrate the long flyin week with some "National Bushwheel Awareness Week - - Missouri Breaks to Johnson Creek" T-shirts for us and JC the week after.

We had a great deal of snow this past winter. With normal spring moisture, this country will be green and in its Sunday clothes for all to see.

Some of you have contacted me about our "hotel". It is actually very comfortable with modern rooms in a 80 year-old bank building (the only one to survive the last fire 50 years ago). If you don't have camping equipment, or otherwise would be more comfortable in a room instead of a tent.... call: Donna Econom... 406 462-5483. There is much late evening light to fly back from Cow Creek after the Bar-B-que and you wouldn't miss much of the camp activities on Friday...you could take in the entire day Saturday back in Winifred. If you have a hotel room, and it rains, we will all be in your room.

As time approaches, I'll post photos. I couldn't help thinking about the flyin...beautiful day today, this morning out flying and looking at dancing birds on sage-grouse and sharptail grouse leks, elk, deer, and a band of big-horn eues.

NBAWCWBJC.jpg PIREP: We are really green here now and seem to have the same weather we have had for the last several years....i.e. 45 deg night and ca. 70 deg. days. The backcountry strips are plenty dry enough to "play" on .... we are getting excited to see those of you who plan on being here. I'll update as time gets closer. The photo below was taken early in the afternoon last year. Ralph
    CowCk09Edit3.jpg

Ralph, there will be 3 CC cubs coming from Tacoma so far. I am really looking forward to hooking up!

Geo

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    Ralph, there will be 3 CC cubs coming from Tacoma so far. I am really looking forward to hooking up!

Geo
    I will get you all special parking. Geo, it has been too long e-friends. I look forward to meeting you in person. Ralph