Thread: Door Handle Adjustment - popped open on takeoff

Cool Door Handle Adjustment - popped open on takeoff

I was taking off the other day and to my suprise about 100' off the ground the door popped open and window flew up. After collecting my thoughts, changing my underwear and getting everything closed up I flew around the patch and landed. I noticed if you barely put pressure on the twist handle it springs to the open position. Does anyone know if this is easily adjustable to make it over center a little farther?

Default Re: Door Handle Adjustment - popped open on takeoff

There is no adjustment on the stops. They are aluminum, and inside the door.

Pete D

Has anyone else reported this issue, any known fixes for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Proetuss View Post
    Has anyone else reported this issue, any known fixes for it?
    First one I've heard of. There really isn't anywhere to make adjustments. I wonder if something is binding or bent that is causing it to want to do that.

I too have not heard of this before this thread.

Pete D.

Everything runs smooth on the latch, you just barely have to tap it and it springs to the open position. We are going to have to make a method to rubberband the handle shut or something. It's an eye opener when you are not expecting it, and as you know thats the only latch that keeps that whole side closed.

Questions -With the door open, does turning the handle closed operate the pins on each end of the door? Or is only the front or rear pin operating? Or is the handle not engaging in the closed indent position? (mine snaps in place).

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Hey all,

I am guessing that you might have a SportCub with an early serial number. The issue has occured before at least once and the aircraft involved was #25.

It all has something to do with the internal mechanics of the latch mechanism where there was insufficient overcenter force to keep the latch from rotating. Typically, the vibration of takeoff is enough to get the latch rotate 5-10 deg where in it will open the rest of the way.

Short term fix was to put something in the way to keep the T handle from rotating. I used a piece of rubber. The long term fix was to send the door back to the factory to have the insides updated and redone which the owner eventually had done at annual inspection time.

John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    SE Regional CSC

Quote Originally Posted by reileyr View Post
    Questions -With the door open, does turning the handle closed operate the pins on each end of the door? Or is only the front or rear pin operating? Or is the handle not engaging in the closed indent position? (mine snaps in place).
    Both pins operate correctly, the handle just does not over-center far enough in the closed position. Whether the door is open or closed the handle spins to the closed position, but then springs open if you bump it. It would be nice if the handle sprung to the closed postion rather than open.