Thread: Doug Keller's slotted flaps

Default Doug Keller's slotted flaps

Dan L., You should have a few hours on the plane by now. Just by chance, are you going to put Doug Kellers (Performance STOL) slotted flaps on?

Mark

Default Re: Kit Mods

Mark,

Doug Keller's flap design will not bolt on to the Carbon Cub flap system. The flap hangers and actuators are of a different design. On the Carbon Cub the inboard flap hinge actually mounts to the fuselage, not the rear spar, relieving the rear spar of a lot of the buffeting loads a Piper style design gets esp with high power, slow speed, flaps down flying. It is quite common to see loose/missing screws and cracked ribs on Piper aircraft around the inboard flap hanger area.

Pete D.

Default Re: Kit Mods

Quote Originally Posted by wzlyyn View Post
    Dan L., You should have a few hours on the plane by now. Just by chance, are you going to put Doug Kellers (Performance STOL) slotted flaps on?

Mark
    Hi Mark, I have 50+ hours on it now. I have flown it almost everyday since I was issued the AW certificate.
    I like it more all of the time. It does everything I want it to do. In fact I've had it in a few places I wouldn't have taken the PA18. I'm landing it in shorter distances than I ever did in the PA18 (and it had brake boosters) and it always takes off quicker.

Pete confirmed what I had figured on the exended flaps; that they are designed for a PA18 only and would not fit a Carbon Cub. And with the performance of the Carbon Cub as it is would the extra weight be worth it I wonder?

Default Re: Doug Keller's slotted flaps

Pete and Dan

Thanks for the info.. If my memory serves me correct, the original Carbon Cub prototype had them. If so Doug might be able to provide a pair that will fit the attachment set up. Dan brought up a real good point, is the extra weight worth it?

Mark

Default Re: Doug Keller's slotted flaps

The original prototype Carbon Cub had flaps that were one rib bay longer outboard and 3 or 4 inches longer in chord. Not the same thing as Doug is developing for the Super Cub now, but still quite a bit different than "stock" Carbon Cub.

Pete D.