Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPad panel apps

Default iPad panel apps

Anyone into iPad apps? If so what apps have you found to be useful, and do most of them work in both horizontal and vertical orientations?
    Randy Lervold

Default Re: iPad panel apps

I run Foreflight for charts and plates. I've got a 32gig Wifi only so the reference is static only, which I anticipated and frankly prefer. The thing is too big for me to get happy using it as a constant reference in cockpit...i.e for GPS nav.

Used Jepp app on it when I was flying the BeechJet as company had a sub for it. I ain't payin' for that myself...although I liked it. Foreflight has better incorporation of the weather images and charts, airport info, fuel prices...etc. And for now its way cheaper, but its all govt' pubs. Still...can't beat $75 a year for all US plates and charts (VFR, Hi and Lo IFR). I'd still pay a slight premium for the Jepp format, but not what their asking right now.

Have both PilotAIM and PilotFAR. Both very simple functionality and update easily. Sporty's E6B although they don't have an iPad version, its just the iPhone app bootstrapped. I don't think I've ever opened it other than on my phone.

Where it really shines for me is all of the AC's, manuals and text books that I keep stored in iBooks. I've probably got 2000 pages of material on it pertaining to operational flying. Imagine lugging that around! Its nice to be able to look up an answer immediately rather than waiting til I get home.

Weather apps include Aeroweather for METARS and TAFS. RadarScope, Weatherbug, Nexrad HD, Wundermap, and Accuweather. With exception of Aeroweather they all do the same thing just in a different way. Fact o' the matter is when I want to see motion I go to the nexrad and sat in Foreflight.

Zinio for my magazine subs and Safari for the web. Great for killing time in the FBO.

AMT for studying on the A&P written. Square for processing card payments of any type. Kayak for finding airline/hotel/rental pricing.

Everything swaps ends just fine.

I love the thing. Bought it first night it came out in stores. Will upgrade when third gen comes around. Its the way of the future (long echo)...
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 09-13-2011 at 09:52 PM.

WingX (most used), LogTen (least used), AeroWeather, AOPA Airports, EAA Radio, AeroWeather, FltPlan, DTC Duat, and about 110 others non-flying related.

Tony

I played with Foreflight on my iPhone and like it. I've been fighting the temptation to get an iPad.

Jason, I switched from Jepp paper about six months ago. I now use Foreflight, although I tried WingsX and Jeppesen. Foreflight just seems to have their act together more than the rest, and they are constantly coming out with upgrades to their programs. I keep my iPad in the vertical mode so that I can see the approach chart in its entirity. I have the 3G version with GPS. That gives me geo-synchronization on all the charts, which is nice to have, especially in unfamiliar areas.

My preference would be the Jepp format for IFR charts, but at this time they have not reduced their prices to where they are affordable to the average pilot.

Dick

Randy you aught to talk to local pilot Les Flue. He uses his iPad extensively while flying his C182 and has tried a wide variety of options for flying related apps on it.

Pete

Guys, thanks for all the comments, but what about the vertical/horizonal question?

Also, there are several sources for outboard GPSs that plug in and other in-flight apps, anyone using those?
    Randy Lervold

I use ForeFlight and Jepp. Both work in either orientation. I find them to be great planning tools and my best friends when flying IFR. I did find that having an aux power plug available is a good idea if going totally paperless in the pit.
    Ben Redman, GM
    RARE Aircraft Ltd
    www.rareaircraft.com
    ben@rareaircraft.com
    507-331-8446

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Anyone into iPad apps? If so what apps have you found to be useful, and do most of them work in both horizontal and vertical orientations?
    I like ForeFlight in the Carbon Cub on the iPad much better than the GDU375. Only problem is that I have found the iPad GPS has had problems keeping the signal when I use the iPad on my thigh.

A remote Bluetooth GPS/XM receiver for the iPad would obsolete the need for a GDU375 in the Carbon Cub.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Bob, There is a vendor called MyGoFlight.com that makes various applications for using the iPad in flight. One of their latest is an arm that holds the iPad via a suction cup device. I am not sure how it would work in the confined space of a Cub, but you might want to look at their site and decide for yourself.

Dick