Thread: Increasing Cruise Speed on a Cub Crafters Cub

Default Increasing Cruise Speed on a Cub Crafters Cub

Hopefully my questions about speed aren't totally annoying to you guys. I understand how draggy the cub airframe is but still enjoy the discussion. The carbon cub has unbelievable short field performance and I know people are not buying this aircraft for its high speed cruise or anything like that but doubt anyone would be bothered by an increased cruise speed. Just had a few thoughts to increase the speed of the aircraft. The one being a speed kit, which just cleans up the airframe a bit, wheel pants, etc. I know its in your development que and probably not very important as it takes away from the backcountry abilities of the cub.

The other idea I had though is giving the flaps another option for negative pitch. It would create "reflex" in the air foil and increase cruising speeds. It has been done in a few other LSA aircraft and may be something worth looking into. Flight Design has done this in their ctls and ctsw. Some of the european models go all the way to -12 degrees but to keep within the lsa limits they had to keep it @ -5 for the USA.

I'm no engineer but we use this type of design in a lot of our paragliding wings to make them more stable and increase speeds where it is very effective.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Fly safe,
    Jeff

Default Re: Increasing Cruise Speed on a Cub Crafters Cub

Reflexing the flaps is an idea also in the development queue. No question there is more speed to be had in the Carbon Cub / Sport Cub airframe via drag reduction techniques.
    Randy Lervold

Great! Can't wait to see what the future holds then Randy. Appreciate the super fast response.

Jeff

We should start a "Cub" class at Reno, and see what happens. Might be surprised at how fast they go with a few tweaks. Maybe I'll suggest that to the organizers when we're there next week.

For any of you that are planning to attend the Reno Air Races this year, please stop by the CubCrafters display and say hi. We'd love to see you.

John Hodges