Thread: Speed Kit

Default Speed Kit

Will there be a speed kit released for the cub line up? Also, can the carbon cub really cruise @ the 138mph speed limit? I see a lot of articles written about this, some say cruise is right around 100mph while others have 120+. I know wheel size has a lot to do with it...

Thanks everyone,
    Jeff

Default Re: Speed Kit

A "speed kit" is in our R&D queue and something we'd like to do. Don't plan on it any time soon though, our R&D team and engineers have a very full plate already.

The CC340 is derated to 80 hp for max continuous cruise and indeed will not do 138 mph at that level. Depending on tires, the 100-110 mph area you suggest is realistic.
    Randy Lervold

I just flew to YKM at placard rpm's... ca. 8000' altitude, 5.8gal/hr., 105 mph on 8:50's. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Hey thanks for the response cetmont.

CA - meaning CAS or calibrated air speed? Just checking. That's closer to 115 mph TAS typically right? Good numbers

How do you like the 8.50s? Do you do any off airport work?

Jeff

Airspeed was dynon calculated TAS.... ca. is abbreviation for circa...or about/near... When I'm flying asphalt, I use the 8:50's. I use them off-airport in reasonable circumstances and for many years they were our "big tires". Much of the year, I'm running 29's on the cub to deal with cow tracks, frozen cow crap, and other things where the 29's can save a little wear and tear. What we need is for Wup (AK Bushwheels) to finish making the tubeless 8:50's which they have been working on for years. They are lighter and we could run them much softer than the tubed 8:50 we use now. Call Wup and ask him where they are.... R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.