Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Buzzing Strut

Default Re: Buzzing Strut

I have never heard anything that loud on my plane,mine was as Pete described. It is the strut but it is a low pitch buzz (Like A Bee caught in a cup)that sounded more like a rattle (something loose). You could here it through the Bose headset but I had trouble locating it until I stuck my hand on the rear strut you couldnt see anything vibrating.
    Chuck

Those of you with the cameras, it would be interesting to set one up to be able to see the com antenna, see if it is just the strut or both or more one than the other.

Pete D

I can only hear it when she lands in the videos, and I figure that vibration is from being on off-pavement strips. My body vibrates when landing or taxiing on grass strips!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Those of you with the cameras, it would be interesting to set one up to be able to see the com antenna, see if it is just the strut or both or more one than the other.

Pete D
    Pete, I have done that. The com antenna definitely vibrates depending on power setting. Most of my video is with an HD camera mounted on the right tie down ring. Depending on angle of attack the camera picks up the buzzing noise very well out there. Pretty sure it is the aileron cable buzzing in the wind just aft of the spar.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

In all the video's I have taken I only hear the buzzing noise after landing as the airplane is slowing down. For me it is not AOA related, and I don't think it is the strut. As was previously said it is probably the cable on grass... now I can't remember if I heard it when landing on pavement too....

I don't think it is causing any damage or a problem with my airplane, just wondering what it is.
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

002.jpgHi all, Just saw and read this thread and I too had the issue, however resolved it with about a 2 ft piece of split chafing tube that covers the aileron wire that you can get at any marine store forafew dollars. Its used for covering wire stays etc on sailboats to prevent sail chafing. its very light weight and seems to have provided enough rigidity to the aileron wire to stop the harmonic vibration. Best Gary

PS I also tested the aileron tension which was spot on.
    Last edited by glickle; 09-20-2011 at 07:02 PM.