Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buzzing Strut

Default Re: Buzzing Strut

My cables have never vibrated, they are still pretty tight..
    Jason help me get all new eyebolts and bushings before the weekend so I could go fly. New ones were installed and there is no Buzzing/ vibration at all!
    Thank You Jason for all your help.
    Chuck

On aircraft that have not had the prop balanced the cables tend to vibrate pretty good at certain RPMs. We have been doing the dynamic balance here for quite a while now and it really helps with things vibrating.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    My cables have never vibrated, they are still pretty tight..
    Jason help me get all new eyebolts and bushings before the weekend so I could go fly. New ones were installed and there is no Buzzing/ vibration at all!
    Thank You Jason for all your help.
    Chuck
    Glad to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    On aircraft that have not had the prop balanced the cables tend to vibrate pretty good at certain RPMs. We have been doing the dynamic balance here for quite a while now and it really helps with things vibrating.

Pete D.
    Hi Pete,

I had my engine dynamically balanced. The guy doing it for me told me he rarely got them as low as mine; .02 IPS. It was .22 IPS prior to balancing. But the aileron cables still sing.

When I took it in I wondered about putting weights on the carbon fiber back plate as is often done with aluminum back plates. He didn't do it that way though, he put one -4 bolt through an existing hole in the starter ring gear.

The starter ring gear is where we mount the weight when we do it here. Nice and solid.

Pete D

Just had mine balanced.... really happy with the outcome. R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Based on the exchange in this thread I just replaced my jury strut brackets and attachment hardware. Here is a side by side comparison of the old part on the right and the new part on the left. New hardware is 3/8" diameter and old is 5/16".

IMG1512-M.jpg
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

I preflight my cables and jury struts before every flight. All seems tight and good. Here is a video of my flight yesterday for my BFR, you can hear the buzzing after landing and on roll out. Would one of you smarter than me take the time to watch and listen and give YHO? thanks much.

Diana Votaw
    N110CV

I don't remember hearing a noise quite like that before. I have heard a buzzing noise that usually occurs when the power is pulled back and you are descending, like on base/final that I have always thought was the antenna on the bottom being buffeted by the air going through the gear at a different angle. Next time I hear it I'll take a good look at the struts, see if maybe that is what I'm hearing.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I don't remember hearing a noise quite like that before. I have heard a buzzing noise that usually occurs when the power is pulled back and you are descending, like on base/final that I have always thought was the antenna on the bottom being buffeted by the air going through the gear at a different angle. Next time I hear it I'll take a good look at the struts, see if maybe that is what I'm hearing.

Pete D.
    That's exactly the noise I have captured on my videos from a strut mounted camera. I have heard the same noise landing with the window open. Can hear it over the noise canceling of the Bose headset.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA