Thread: normal full flap landing crossing threshold speed?

Default normal full flap landing crossing threshold speed?

I realize there is a lot of variables but typically on a full flap normal 3pt landing what airspeed do you cross the threshold at? Sport and/or Carbon cub?
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Default Re: normal full flap landing crossing threshold speed?

CC11-100, power off, no gust or crosswind issues, usually about 50 mph if I'm solo, and 55 if the airplane is heavy.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

windypoint

In a normal approach with no length issues I would agree on the 50 mph. On a tight short strip I will hang on the prop closer to 40 mph and chop the throttle when established in the flare. There are to many variables to really set a hard and fast rule.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    I realize there is a lot of variables but typically on a full flap normal 3pt landing what airspeed do you cross the threshold at? Sport and/or Carbon cub?
    Hi George,

When I was new to the airplane, I would use 50mph. Now that I am more comfortable in the airplane, 45mph works well if I am not in a hurry.

What do you use?

John

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    Geo
    I have been using 45 mph or 50 mph if heavier. This works well since 1.3 Vso = 42 mph.
    Jon

Here is what I teach as standing operating procedure (SOP), at the numbers, power off 60 mph and one notch, base two notches and 55 mph, final 50 mph, short final all 3 notches and 45 mph crossing threshold. Wheel landings 2 notches and 50-55 mph threshold.

Now that was SOP, high variable and X-winds land a little faster and sometimes less flaps. You would really be surprised just how much variable and x-winds you can safely land in! After that is learned then other numbers can be played to learn STOL and backcountry procedures which of course vary according to circumstances.

Its a wonderful little airplane that can safely perform way beyond your expectations or I suspect original intentions just practice-practice-practice to know where the real edge is and under different conditions! Actually you can drag it in full flaps with little or no indicated airspeed just like takeoff.

I am not really an old timer but I do have over 900 hrs of sport cub time..a lot of wringing her out and safely testing her to find the edge...I am not so much a come and go guy but love to make my cub dance! You learn a lot from the back seat without visual on the gauges, just feel and sounds. You would be surprised how fast and where a student can put you near the runway and she still gives you time to bring her back!

World's greatest cub trainer!

Any other thoughts out there landing speeds? Ralph?
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Been gone George....sorry late to the party. I use 60mph in the pattern with ca. 1200 rpm on the engine and one notch flaps....add the last two notches of flaps on short final and cross the threshold between 40-45...power to adjust touchdown point. I almost never adjust trim. The aircraft flies at 60 with 1200 rpm at just about the same trim setting as full trim cruise. It is also very comfortable at 40-45 with three notches. Sometimes just a little power right before touchdown will really smooth out things. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

[
    I am not really an old timer but I do have over 900 hrs of sport cub time..a lot of wringing her out and safely testing her to find the edge...I am not so much a come and go guy but love to make my cub dance! You learn a lot from the back seat without visual on the gauges, just feel and sounds. You would be surprised how fast and where a student can put you near the runway and she still gives you time to bring her back!

World's greatest cub trainer!

Any other thoughts out there landing speeds? Ralph?[/QUOTE]

Hi Geo,
    You are an old timer and getting highly experienced. Just watch the good students as they are the ones that will bite you just when you think all is well. The S-1 does handle a lot more wind than the published limits but you need to be proficient. You can fly just above power-on stall speed (no crosss wind) on short approach if you need to get in really short and the aircraft is light with one pilot. Just not much room for error. There are other techniques for short landings that involve wheel landings but I won't go there for now. For normal full flap approaches, I use what others have described with nothing less than 50 mph on final when training first time students. (Doesn't matter about total time, only tailwheel time counts)
    Hope you are well. Been off the site for a long time with medical issues in the family. mike, N50KB

When I had my 160 hp PA-18 I would be 45 mph on short final and touch down about 41-42. This was on 31" Bushwheels and a tail-low wheel-landing. I only 3-pointed on skis.

With my Carbon Cub I fly the pattern the same but I'm finding it easier to touchdown just a little slower. I see some ground speeds in the high 30's (no wind). This is also with 31's and wheel landing. I've made one 3-point landing the the Carbon Cub and it reminded me again why I always wheel-land.

SANY0029.jpg

This is a normal landing for me.

I'm with Dan. I always tail low wheel landings. I do all of my approaches reference to angle of attack but it equates to (depending on weight and wind) 25-35 IAS 40MPH if it is really blowing.

Last edited by Californiacubs; 08-14-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com