Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zaon -PCAS vs Garmin TIS option

Default Zaon -PCAS XRX vs Garmin TIS option

If you want to save some dollars ( about $1500 difference) and have better collison avoidance try the Zaon -PCAS XRX and dont waste $ on the TIS add on from Garmin. I had the Garmin TIS add on in my S2 and it only works when near a major airport with radar, and mostly does not work in most of the areas we fly these Cubs as you must recieve a radar retruns for TIS to work. That said the PCAS unit from Zaon is half the price and works on all three broadcasts ( TIS, aircraft Transponders and TCAS) and thus works much much better. I have it in my Carbon Cub now and it can be displayed onyour 496 or 696 also. Best Gary

http://www.zaon.aero/content/view/12/40/
    Last edited by glickle; 02-09-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Default Re: Zaon -PCAS XRX vs Garmin TIS option

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    If you want to save some dollars ( about $1500 difference) and have better collison avoidance try the Zaon -PCAS XRX and dont waste $ on the TIS add on from Garmin. I had the Garmin TIS add on in my S2 and it only works when near a major airport with radar, and mostly does not work in most of the areas we fly these Cubs as you must recieve a radar retruns for TIS to work. That said the PCAS unit from Zaon is half the price and works on all three broadcasts ( TIS, aircraft Transponders and TCAS) and thus works much much better. I have it in my Carbon Cub now and it can be displayed onyour 496 or 696 also. Best Gary

Thanks for the report. I may go with the same solution. Just heard about TM250 Traffic Monitor today. Don't know any more than what is on the web site.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Junior Member Table Rock Aviation's Avatar

Default Re: Zaon -PCAS vs Garmin TIS option

I have to agree that the Zaon-PCAS system works. I recently flew with one in a Piper Arrow. I don't know where exactly the blind zones of the PCAS system is but I know that it is nice to still have some traffic call outs when TIS drops people off the system. I looked at that system developed by Funkwerks and it looks neat as well. North Carolina is one of the few states in the US that has excellent ADS-B coverage so I would bet that it would work very well flying around NC.

I have ADS-B in my Sport Cub and it's useless outside of Class B. How did you mount the Zaon? I assume it displays on the Garmin?
    Thanks Gary.
    tom

Thanks to Gary's advice and some research, I will be going with the Zaon as well. It would be great if Cubcrafters could come up with some sort of optional mount for it. just a thought......

Happy flying!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I have ADS-B in my Sport Cub and it's useless outside of Class B. How did you mount the Zaon? I assume it displays on the Garmin?
    Thanks Gary.
    tom
    Hi Tom yes when hard wired to the Garmin it displays similarly to the TIS with the same icons. I spoke with the ZAON tech reps while I had the plane at Sebring show, and they suggested it be mounted right rear under the greenhouse plexi and just be sure the antenna is 2 inches away from and steel support. (update info) I have now mounted it with hardwire using a RAM mount which works well and used industrial velcro to mount the PCAS to the RAM base so it can easily be removed and used if need be in another plane with the 12V cigarette lighter power cord. Regards Gary
    Last edited by glickle; 02-23-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Updated info.

I am pretty sure if we offered the Xaon unit as an option, almost every CC would be shipped with it. We are near the Denver area...just had a mid air between a tow-plane and a Cirrus a couple weeks ago. Am building an RV-8 with 10 inch Skyview screen...you can believe we will be installing this unit. Gary, thanks for the post on this equip...this is a pretty big safety itme and would probably boos the CunCrafters name especially in the name of saftey if it were an option....Jim, Randy? As usual, it is never quite that easy!

Pete

Hi Tom yes when hard wired to the Garmin it dsplayes similarly to the TIS with the same icons. I spoke with the ZAON tech reps while I had the plane at Sebring show, and they suggested it be mounted right rear under the greenhouse plexi and just be sure the antenna is 2 inches away from and steel support. I agree a mount bracket would be helpful. Best Gary

That does it, I'm laying off the Scotch for the rest of the evening... "Zaon and boost the Cubcrafter name especially in the area of safety"
    We will probably add it to our SS once it is here...

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I am pretty sure if we offered the Xaon unit as an option, almost every CC would be shipped with it. We are near the Denver area...just had a mid air between a tow-plane and a Cirrus a couple weeks ago. Am building an RV-8 with 10 inch Skyview screen...you can believe we will be installing this unit. Gary, thanks for the post on this equip...this is a pretty big safety itme and would probably boos the CunCrafters name especially in the name of saftey if it were an option....Jim, Randy? As usual, it is never quite that easy!

Pete

I'm buying one too.....

Who knows the best place to get them with a discount?

Pete, try tequila insted....

Stan is doing an install for a customer soon here so we'll have a price for it installed. This will be a "post-cert" option meaning that it won't be on the aircraft order form but rather done after certification.
    Randy Lervold