Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: prop

Default prop

Going to fly to Osh from Fl. Have a 50 cartridge in should I get a 52 or is it worth it. I Indicate 95+ at 2450. 5.9 gal hr.
    Thanks Chuck

Default Re: prop

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Going to fly to Osh from Fl. Have a 50 cartridge in should I get a 52 or is it worth it. I Indicate 95+ at 2450. 5.9 gal hr.
    Thanks Chuck
    Chuck, I have the 46,48,50 and the 52 cartridges. I primarely use the 46 and 48 mainly because of the immediate thrust for training students and STOL situtations.

At sea level I picked up a few mph for each upgrade, max was 115mph with the 52 at sea level but it was a dog for takeoffs and climbs.

We used the 50 when we brought 7AK here to AZ from WA in Novemember knowing there were mountains to fly over and needed some climb. I am using only the 46 now here in AZ with the high density alitude situtation this time of year.

The cartirdges are, I think, about $45 not bad to give it a try. You also might call Charlie Denny at Sensenich Propeller Technical Support, 2008 Wood Court Plant City, FL 33563.... 813-752-3711 for his thoughts.

Does that help any?
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Thanks Geo
    Just wondering if I needed to change, it seems to work fine the way it is but didnt no how much speed I would get going up to 52. I will give them a call.
    Chuck

I have sport cub S/N 55 with the Sensenich ground adjustable and after many test I have found that all the 52 pitch cartridge does for me is burn more fuel to go the same speed. I can go faster at low altitude with the 52 but at 4,500 and 6,500' it takes 2 to 2.5 inches more manifold pressure at the same rpm to go the same(IAS) speed as the 50.
    Sensenich says that my airframe is at it's limit for the horsepower. All my test were done at constant rpm, constant pressure altitudes.
    On my trip from Austin to L.A. then to Yakima last year all the 52 pitch got me was an extra fuel stop.
    With the 50 pitch here in Central Texas at high 90's, low 100's my takeoff roll is almost to the numbers.
    Bill Farmer

I flew Sport Cub S2 #62 for over two years with its original wood prop. Then a year ago I had the Sensenich ground-adjustable prop installed, with the 50-inch cartridge.

These before/after photos were taken the day before and the day after the new prop was put on. All else equal, it resulted in nearly a 10 mph increase in speed.

There was no perceptible change in takeoff and climb performance.

The new prop is so smooth-running and vibration-free compared to the old wood prop, I'm almost afraid to try a different cartridge lest the balance be disturbed.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Jeff,

I would be interested to hear what if any changes it made to fuel burn and oil temp if you noticed any changes in those numbers as well as the increased speed...

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Jeff,

I would be interested to hear what if any changes it made to fuel burn and oil temp if you noticed any changes in those numbers as well as the increased speed...

Pete D.
    After the new prop I think the fuel burn has averaged around 0.2 to 0.3 gph higher than I was getting before. Not a bad tradeoff for the extra 10 mph. I've been running it about 100 rpm less than I had been with the wood prop, but manifold pressure is probably still a skosh higher (I have the steam-gauge panel, so that's a guess).

As to the oil temp, you guys installed the larger oil cooler plenum at the same time the prop was put on, so I don't know what difference the prop alone made. Together the net result was a reduction of about ten degrees. Here are the before/after photos:

Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Great! I forgot we did the plenum at the same time. Looks like its running just about ideal there.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Great! I forgot we did the plenum at the same time. Looks like its running just about ideal there.

Pete D.
    Pete
    I noticed on Jeff picture his nav switch is off strobe switch is on,my strobes wont come on unless the nav switch is on to?

Jeff
    Do you run/cruise yours at 2650?
    I came back from Texas 2400- 2450 sounded like that was it sweet spot (Local I have been running it at 1950 you can actually here your self think), Warren aircraft said run it 2500, sounded like it was running hard so I pulled it back.The exaust is so loud it is hard to tell sounds like your running the hell out off it at idle.

Bill
    Thanks I am going to stick with the the 50 souds like the best all around.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Pete
    I noticed on Jeff picture his nav switch is off strobe switch is on,my strobes wont come on unless the nav switch is on to?

Chuck
    I believe Jeff has the incandescent type lights that work indipendantly. The newer aircraft (sometime around or after s/n 100+) have LED nav/strobes that work like you are describing.

Pete D.