Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: prop

Default Re: prop

Jeff strobes are the same as mine...

I think overall you would be better off running the 48 unless you are going long distance cruises...much more performance for takeoff and climb and all around.

I run mine 2650 anytime I am going somewhere, that what the continental manual recommended and Brian and several others suggested. Now if just cubdriving around use that sweet spot you were talking about and enjoy the flight! Try 60 mph and one notch of flaps for low and slow flights and/or canyon flying.

Enjoy!

Geo
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I believe Jeff has the incandescent type lights that work indipendantly. The newer aircraft (sometime around or after s/n 100+) have LED nav/strobes that work like you are describing.

Pete D.
    Yes, I have the old style lights. Every 25 hours I have to trim the wicks.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    I think overall you would be better off running the 48 unless you are going long distance cruises...much more performance for takeoff and climb and all around.

Geo
    I think OSH from Florida is probably long distance... ;-)

See the post that started the thread.

Pete D

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Jeff
    Do you run/cruise yours at 2650?
    I came back from Texas 2400- 2450 sounded like that was it sweet spot (Local I have been running it at 1950 you can actually here your self think), Warren aircraft said run it 2500, sounded like it was running hard so I pulled it back.The exaust is so loud it is hard to tell sounds like your running the hell out off it at idle.
    I usually cruise 2300-2400 down low, 2600-2650 at higher (8,000'+ DA) altitudes.
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Pete
    Yes Osh is 1100 miles ,never been thought it would be fun to fly the cub,camp at super cub flyin.
    I think I will get a 48 when I get back and give it a try. Local flying @ 1950 Ias 70 flys real nice no flaps doesnt seem to bother the deer quite so bad. I pushed it up to 2650 IAS 105 last night dont think I could run it that hard very long, just doesnt sound like it likes it there. Fuel burn went to over 7gal hr I will probably do some 2 hr legs on the way up & back different rpms and find what works the best.
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is there a Catto prop for the S2? Like the one on the Carbon Cub?
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette View Post
    Is there a Catto prop for the S2? Like the one on the Carbon Cub?
    Yes, there is. It is not exactly the same as the Carbon Cub but it is sized for the O-200. I believe that is the standard prop now, if you were to order a new Sport Cub. We haven't built any Sport Cubs for close to 2 years until recently there have been two that came off the production line. The numbers the test pilot was talking about were amazing, though I haven't seen them first hand. I think he said something like 105 indicated at 24 or 2500 RPM, and 1000 fpm climb with one big guy in the front and full fuel. (those are numbers I am remembering, may not be 100% accurate)

I would really like to fly one with the Catto, see first hand what it will do.

Pete D.

I looked at the purchasing page, and didn't see an option for the Catto, didn't think it was standard. Anyone have any numbers they would care to share on the Catto?
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette View Post
    I looked at the purchasing page, and didn't see an option for the Catto, didn't think it was standard. Anyone have any numbers they would care to share on the Catto?
    The Catto prop has only been installed on one Sport Cub that I know of and that's one that was just produced. If you look at the Features part of Sport Cub page on the website you'll see it listed. It's not listed as an option as it's standard.
    Last edited by Jason Tepool; 10-27-2011 at 12:45 PM.

I just found that the numbers are already posted here. http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...mparison-Chart

The Catto prop was tested early last year for the Sport Cub and quickly became the standard prop back then for new orders, we just didn't have any until recently. You can contact Vera in the parts department to order one for your plane if you'd like to switch to the Catto.