Thread: Turtle Deck Air Leaking

Default Turtle Deck Air Leaking

I had a problem with air coming in where the turtle deck glues to the top of the fuselage the double sided tape would not hold the turtle deck down so I made two 1 1/2 aluminum strips and riveted 3 #6 nut plates on each and glued them to the underside of fabric and screwed them down and the problem was solved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Turtle Deck Air Leaking

How much/what kind of tape did you have before? All of the factory installed ones I have had to remove have been holding well.Pete D

Pete:
    I used the automotive double sided tape that was in the kit.
    EV

The key to really getting that stuff to work good is the adhesive promotor. Not sure if that is provided in the kit or not..?

Also, in that area I think they do two strips of it across there, might even be one 1/2" strip and one 1" strip, its been a few weeks since I have looked.

That looks like a easy way to fix it, you probably didn't have to removed the whole thing to do it that way.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    The key to really getting that stuff to work good is the adhesive promotor. Not sure if that is provided in the kit or not..?

Also, in that area I think they do two strips of it across there, might even be one 1/2" strip and one 1" strip, its been a few weeks since I have looked.

That looks like a easy way to fix it, you probably didn't have to removed the whole thing to do it that way.

Pete D.
    Pete, what is the adhesive promoter? It did not come with my kit and I've already used the tape for windows, but not the turtle deck yet.

Dan

Dan

Adhesion promoter 3M PN 06396 is not included in the kit, but is available at most auto parts stores that carry 3M products. It comes in small hand wipe type packets. It helps when adhering the adhesive tape to more porous surfaces like the turtle deck or the back side of interior panels. It is really important to line up the turtle deck as perfectly as possible and when storing it, do not allow it to rest on something that will distort its shape.

Thanks
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    I had a problem with air coming in where the turtle deck glues to the top of the fuselage the double sided tape would not hold the turtle deck down so I made two 1 1/2 aluminum strips and riveted 3 #6 nut plates on each and glued them to the underside of fabric and screwed them down and the problem was solved.
    EV, that looks like a good cure. I couldn't find any adhesive promoter and used the wide double sided tape (probably an inch wide) and after 10 days or so my turtle deck shows a gap on both sides. I think I'll make a similar strip and screw it down, maybe from Kydex. I've got easy access to the underside area there through my extended baggage door so it should be any easy solution.

I also mounted my com and ELT antennas on the turtle deck just behind the skylight. For a ground plane I attached a piece of aluminum the width of the skylight hold-down screws and about 8" back towards the tail. The back end of the aluminum is attached to the fuselage tubes with adel clamps and I drilled a hole through the turtle deck there and ran the screws through the turtle deck, aluminum sheet and then the clamp so I've got two more solid anchor points. I'll take a picture and post later.

DSCN1934.jpg

Prior to adding screws.

DSCN1936.jpg

After #6 screws.

DSCN1937.jpg

I used a strip of Kydex on the inside and wrapped it under the top stringer.
    Last edited by Dan L; 07-27-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added image