Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids in the back

Default Re: Kids in the back

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tepool View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I figure I'll take the stick out too if it's a problem. Guess I'll do a dry run of fitting her in the airplane to see what works best.
    leave the stick and let her fly like Clay did with his daughter but from the back seat! I showed my granddaughter Clay's video of his daughter flying this morning and she said "if I was in the front seat I could fly too!" what do I do now? LOL! ...she did fly a little from the back seat by moving the stick around. A little hard to reach the pedals!

lola sport cub 3-25-07 014.jpg
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Not quite a cub, but my first flight was in a helicopter just before I was born, and I was up in the air an average of every 4 months or so by age six (usually in Twin Hueys or Kiowas, but there was the regular C-130 Hercules flight). Age 8 I had the honour of sitting in the right seat of a Twin Huey, under the very explicit instructions of "don't touch the button labeled 'XMIT'" (apparently 408 flies from the left seat). There was also a time where we (briefly) "flew" in an APC, and the only thing that saved the driver's bacon was six young kids grinning and asking him to do it again ^_^

My memories of those flights when I was much younger (I'm 28 now) still burn strong, especially that right seat Twin Huey flight - view of the ground isn't as great as sitting on the side next to the engine (when the blasted pilot thinks it's funny to bank at 60 degrees right after takeoff, and then playfully says "seatbelt check!" over the intercom!!!), but the experience was amazing!

Fly it from the back with them in the front. This is not hard to do. You can have a friend start it. They can see better and love it. I am an instructor, but I think anyone could do this. Just practice a few NOFLAP landings and takeoffs. You will most likely be taking them on a nice calm day anyway. I did this with my kids and then you can also let them fly (mine were older).
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV