Thread: Night Flight

Default Night Flight

Somebody just told me they didnt think you could fly a Cub Crafter S2 at night? I thought a private pilot w/medical could fly light sport if properly equipped. He said he wasnt sure but told me to check?
    Thanks Chuck
    Just got cowl flaps installed -25 deg what a diff.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: Night Flight

Hello, Chuck.

Congrats on the airplane purchase. The cowl flaps will make a difference here in FL.

As for the night flying, the SportCub comes out the door at the factory certified as S-LSA and is a day, VFR only airplane even with lights. If you were to do the conversion to E-LSA (experimental LSA not to be confused with experimental amateur built airplane), one of the perks you would pick up is the ability to fly night VFR if the pilot was a private pilot or better and the airplane was appropriately equipped for night flight.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

John Moreland

Hey John
    Thanks, I dont fly cubs at night, but I sure thought i could. Johnny just put the flaps on went from 200 to 175deg.
    Chuck

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Chuck,

I had to fly a CarbonCub in the dark once and it was not a real problem except I didn't know how long the little instrument flood light thingy was going to last. The lighting was adequate except for the landing now that I think of it. The landing light was a very narrow beam which surprised me a little. BTW, the airplane was E-LSA so it was legal if anyone was up late enough to ask.

Have a lot of fun in your airplane. We'll see you around.

John

PS - if you get a chance, send along some pix of your airplane.